1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 500 Re-do

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I just finished a long awaited Mec 500 re-do that I wanted for some time.
    I reload on a Dillon 900SL for 1 oz and a Mec 9000H for 1 1/8 oz but wanted to try a 7/8 load so I took out my very old Mec 500 that my wife and I would load Fed papers 1 1/8 when we were poor and would sell them on the wk-end to help pay for my shooting----We did so good that we couldn't keep up with the orders.
    Well when I had to leave the sport to raise my family the old loader was stashed away----Weather was bad last 2 days so I took the old gal out of storage and what a chore---Everything was out of wack---It was set up for papers with a 6 pt star and the other stations needed adjustment----Not being used to the changing by hand I had shot,powder and wads all over the place.I wanted to keep it all orig.even with the old tube primer feed---Got that to work also---
    Well I finished it today and have it back to real nice reloads
    My 7/8 bar was off a tad---I wanted 19 gr of RD with 7/8 oz of shot with a Fed 209A primer and a 12S0 fed wad---My bushings were off and I had to hone out a #33 to get close---Right now I have it on the 19 to 20 grains but my shot is a tad off---I'm putting out 369 gr of shot and need 382.8(13 BBs) short---Guess I will have to hone out the shot side of the bar also but not bad.

While this was going on I came across some old Fed wads(12S1) and can't figure what they are for----Anyone know I'd appreciate knowing----

Sometimes cabin fever pays off----

Sorry for the long read---Just thought I pass along some of my sentimental value.

I think I saw a tear in my wifes eye---Things we had to do to survive.

George@SJB
    southjblue_2008_0303866.jpg

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

According to Lyman # 2: The 12s1 wad for 1-1/8 loads was designed for the "Champion 11 case, which is tapered, and other shells with tapered walls"

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

It is a fun and inexpensive hobby screwing around with old Mec reloaders.

They follow me home like lost puppies.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I own over 20 of them old mec loaders. mostly 600jrs.

Chuck

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I had a fun 2 days just remembering the days my wife and I would spend hrs loading for tomorrows shoot on that old Mec 500,There were 6 or 8 gunning clubs that we'd go intramural competition saturday mornings before hunting season.Each club had it's own trap and they were the days.Nothing fancy but great times---I lived in the best yrs----George@SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 500 reloader