1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 28ga crimps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckie68, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have a 9000 MEC 28ga. Seems when I load STS shells the crimps always come out ragged. I mean they don't even resemble a good crimp. They look like they have been double folded etc. Anyone else ever had this problem? I've tried adjusting the crimp starter down and fooled woth the cam on the final crimp. No Luck. If anyone has any ideas please reply. I'll try to post some pictures by Monday. Thanks in advance,

Chuck

2. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

They are longer hulls. They look terrible. They go bang. They sound the same. They get crispy sooner. They don't live as long.

I don't get hung up on their appearance.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pretty much the nature of STS 28ga hulls. Finally gave up on them a couple years ago and started loading AAHS. I would have to load 130 to 150 STS 28ga to get 100 that were acceptable for competition, everything else went in the practice bucket. Now if I get 1 or 2 bad ones per 100 on 1x-4x fired hulls, its surprising.

You might have a little better luck if you manually line up the crimp starter w/ the existing folds in the crimp. Take some silver magic marker or nail polish, and make lines on the outside of the crimp starter that line up w/ the splines inside, then line up the lines w/ the crimp, this will help ensure that the splines follow the existing crimp lines. Takes a little extra effort, but its worth it.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Skeet man,

This is on the press I bought from you that works great. I'll try the nail polish thing then if that doesn't make it any better, I'll maybe switch hulls to AA's or ??

Thanks for the help

Chuck

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

BTW---- I load 12ga. 8pt. crimp "STS" Hulls with no problems at all. Those almost look like factory ammo when completed.

Chuck

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Chuck, You may have some of the older hulls that were longer. Line your hulls up on a table and see if they look like the skyline of a major city. If they do, take the long ones and the short ones and load them in batches. I personally only load the short ones as they will load like factory shell if the press is set right.

I gave up on STS a long time ago as well. The HS hulls will load 20 times and still look better then a 4 time loaded sts. Jeff

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

SXJeff,

What is a HS hull?

Iwill try what you say and see where that gets me. My main problem is I am loading for my shooting partner too and all he owns is STS hulls.

I own lots of STS but also have AA's and some Fed's

Chuck

P.S. Why don't I have the problem with 12 ga. STS hulls?

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Chuck you are talking about apples and oranges. Do not try and apply the fact that the STS 12 is about the best hulll going to the STS 28ga. Jeff

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

HS is the new AA hull.

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I scrapped a camera a while ago. I'll borrow one and try to post some pictures here this week. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll try these and see what happens.

Chuck

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Let me help you out...

From left to right-

1) New AA Super Sport
    2) HS hull once fired
    3) HS hull with 4,862 reloads on it
    4 & 5) Remington STS, fired 2-3x.

In fairness, the press (9000 GN in this case)can be adjusted for the longer hull, but I don't know why anyone would do such a thing.

[​IMG]

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They would do it because they have tons of STS cases. Look you batch size them and adjust the press for whichever size cases you have the most of. Shoot them,reload them, shoot them, reload them ETC ETC Until they are toast. Adjust you press for the other size and do the same.

In the mean time, buy two cases of HS 28ga ammo and factory Winchester HS wads. Start shooting these new shells.

When they are gone,adjust the press for the HS hull and load ammo.

Don't make the mistake of buying STS emptys or ammo again.

It really is not very complcated unless you are a low volume shooter and just want to maxamize savings by getting STS cases when they are cheap. I shoot so much 28ga ammo that the thought of F%^king around with STS 28ga cases is a non issue.

Even when the press is adjusted properly the cases get crispy at the ends after just a few reloads. The HS hull with a properly adjusted press will give you so many more reloads it isn't even funny!

I would guess that it would take at least 3 STS hulls to get as many reloads as an HS hull and still get consistant velocity.

All that said... If ammo was free I would shoot factory STS 28ga 9's as that is my all time favorite factory shell. Just wish the cases were not garbage.Jeff

13. SBray

SBray Active Member

Chuck,

This is why I will only load Win AA HS and not mess with the other 28 gauge brands. These are reloads from once fired hulls on a PW 800+.

Steve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think I will use up these hulls and do what Jeff says TRASH THEM. LOL I don't see any point in fighting the loading process with a hull that is uncooperative. I did try to load some Remington Gun Clubs on that press last night and they crimp nicely. So I have a friend that I load for that isn't going to be very happy as he just bought 1000 STS hulls.

Oh Well -----Lesson Learned.

Chuck

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Remington Gunclubs? I have never seen Remington gunclubs in 28ga?Jeff

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Jeff, I don't know if Remington calls them "Gun Clubs" but they sure look like GC's. Same color, same ribbed plastic, the only difference I can see is the base is brass instead of steel. But they load up just fine. I just bought a new camera yesterday, so I think I'll post some pictures of my experiences with this stuff here later after I charge the battery.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.