1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 250

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I was at a sale this past summer and picked up this loader frame and box of pieces parts for a few bucks. They didnt know much about it except that"Father used it to load all the shells he used for hunting on it". Well me being the tinkerer I am I bought it and received a dumb look from the wife who spouted you got a like new 366 at home.
    Oh well needless to say it sat in my shed til this morning when I started my vacation. It has to be old as I had to look up the manual and actually read it.
    I spent a few hours cleaning parts on the buffer and thought he must have gotten 1 or 2 of these for parts!

Well in fact its a multi gauge press very simple to operate AFTER you read the manual and REREAD the manual. I am not for sure but there is looking like for sure 12 and 20 and most of 16 gauge stuff there. Now I know its no speed machine but who how versatile all the dies are designed to screw right on no adjusting as far as I have seen yet. I have a bunch more parts to clean and buff then label with some nail polish or something what they are.

Just something cool from the past I thought I would share. It was surface rusted and sticky when I got it I took a few pictures will see if I can get them up of before and after job.

Thanks for looking

Jerry Lewis

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I will probly part with this when its all done and cleaned up and a copy of the manual is printed out.

Jerry Lewis

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jerry,

A MEC "SUPER 250" was the very first Staged loader I got when I was a kid back in the 60's. Before that I used to load with the old LEE loader kit...Those were the days.

That old MEC 250 you bought will serve a youth just getting started with a lot of joy in reloading. You have a cherished piece of MEC history. If I recall, the next MEC model to come along was the 650 JR.

Happy New Year to you and Joanne...We sure had a lot of fun at a BUSTI shoot we attended 10 years ago. Great place !!!

Funny Story for you....

When we went to Busti for that shoot, we decided not to drive back home to Canandaigua that night. It was our anniversary and we decided to drive into the Jamestown area and get a room. Well we had gotten married in Mayville in '72, and that night of our honeymoon we made it to the other end of the lake and stayed at a motel called Colonial Inn or something Colonial....

Imagine our surprise when we turned the corner onto a main road after leaving the club, and finding that exact motel...Colonial ****...Needless to say, we spent our 30th Anniversary that night in the same motel....Great memories, but not quite the same as it had been 30 years prior...tee hee hee

Maybe see you guys next summer......Hi to the Boss !!!

Dave in NY

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing a pic of the "250" MEC just for comparison purposes. I have my dads first loader which was a MEC 400 "Super Speeder". The hull was inserted in a sleeve and moved from station to station. I remember helping my dad for hours on end with this loader. The shot/powder bottles did not have the easy fill plugs like the current ones do.

MEC 400 "Super Speeder" with original shot/powder bottles and original instruction booklet.

[​IMG]

5. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Old loaders are great to screw around with.
    The 250 mec's were not a bad loader.
    Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell it esp. with all of the extra parts you have.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

doggai that is the coolest redneck engineering I have ever seen! I got the 250 cleaned up pretty good now found out from Brian Whalen the 250 hasnt been mad since 1972. While its no speed demon it would serve as good for someone loading for small game,definately no clay shooter.

Jerry Lewis

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for shareing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alcan reloading
mec 250

mec 250 reloader

mec 250 shotshell reloader
mec 250 super reloader operation