1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Mec #15 bush , According to Mec=17.2, Hogdon =16.1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

I just ran across this on the Mec website when looking for parts..which is considerably different from Hodgon's bushing charts.

Longshot Powder conversion ..

Mecs web site...#15 Mec bushing =17.2 grains

Hodgon Web site...#15 Mec Bushing= 16.1 grains

According to digital scales...Mec 650 Progressive Loader drops 14.6 grains with #15 Mec bushing.

Is this common...???

Stan...
  2. dsr30

dsr30 TS Member

It is, they're just estimates, that are never accurate. Just use them as a guide to get close to what you want and then weigh a few drops to get the charge weight you're looking for.
  3. StansCustoms

That's good to know..I guess I'm releived?

I'm sure surprised there is that much variance in published numbers...

I'm little surprised about what my what my loader is dropping too. Makes me doubt my scales accuracy.

Thanks..Stan
  4. hmb

hmb Active Member

You should have a test weight that you can use to check your scale. HMB
  5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I would doubt the bushung before I would doubt the scale---for sure.

Chuck
  6. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

MEC is always low because many people are using their single stage loaders. When you pull the handle multiple times per shell it causes more powder to settle in the bushing than on say a 9000 model. I always go up one bushing from what MEC recommends for my progressives and then weigh the drop.

Always let your scales be the true test.
  7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You'll also find that the bar usually drops 1 1/16 oz shot in lieu of 1 1/8oz.

Scale everything. Don't assume a new bottle of powder will weigh the same as the old one either.
  8. StansCustoms

I bought a used digital scale at the Pate Swap meet this spring. It is a nearly new nice one with a receipt from Cabellas. I calibrated it numerous times while tuning my Mec. It just seems odd to me that it would be that far from either Hogdon or Mec's published data.

In fact I decided that maybe I needed a back up scale and have RCBS beam scale comming...much simplier and less likely to get out of whack. Should be here tomorrow then I can compare the two.

Stan...
  9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The bushing charts are just a starting point. Every batch of powder will weigh different so get use to weighing everything as Setterman said. Do not ever just load by bushing chart numbers. Always load by your scale. When you are loading you should spot check loads to make sure nothing has changed. Remember your reloads do not just affect your safety but also those around you.
  10. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've forgotten the exact details, but i ran across an industry note a few years back: manufactures are allowed something like a +/- 7% variance between batches. that means you could potentially have a 14% swing in weights, per unit volume, between two different batches of the same powder. 14% of mecs 17.2 grs = 2.4 grs. 17.2 - 2.4 = 14.8. that's pretty close to your 14.6 grs. plus i doubt that mec grinds their bushings to nasa standards either. put it all together and there you go. just sayin. good luck with it_
  11. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Yes the charts will weigh out less that they say for each powder as has been said it is a starting point I have herad this is for saftey reasons. I started with the bushing for the drop I wanted then waighed out ten drops and took the average it was less powder so I moved to larger bushings until I got to the drop I was looking for. I check my drop every 200-300 shells and check speed on a regular basis. I also reamed out the shot hole to get a closer drop. I have a Mec 650 progressive loader.
  12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Powders and primers have changed over the years as the manufactures have changed raw materials or manfacturing processes and in some cases one company sold to another company who made changes to the powders and primers to suit their processes. This is why a thirty year old so called tried and true loading recipe may not be valid to the point of being dangerous, it's why it's important to stay current with updated manufacturers recipes. Nothings more scary than some guy ringing in here with an outdated recipe that's way past current information.

As other have said, every batch of powder must be weighed to stay safe. It's very rare one batch of powder to another weighs the same, that's one reason whay every container has a batch number. The differences between the reloader manufacturer and the powder manufacturers powder drops based on bushing size illustrates just how changes made by the powder manufacturer make a huge difference.

Surfer
  13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Stan, You know you should weight or not use the first three drops of powder after you start out and have just filled the powder bottle on any progressive reloader!!! It can take 2-3 drops to start dropping the proper powder drops because of clogging when filling the bottles when they are dead empty. I always try to re-fill the powder bottle while it has around l/2-to l/3 the powder still in it, so I don't have to start re-weighting the next three drops again. Just a FYI for you. break em all Jeff
  14. StansCustoms

In my case..I loaded a few shells after the initial drop,weighing and tuning the machine...then spot checked 25 or so shells later...then a 100 or so later an then about 200 later. They were all pretty constant give or take (1) tenth or (2) tenths grns. The shot was light all the way ...but close in volume.

I must confess I didn't check the last ones when the bottles were about through/empty. Just found a convenient place and finished out.

Stan...
  15. slide action

slide action Active Member

Powders may vary from lot to lot. I sujest a powder baffle on the Mec loaders. That keeps the weight distributed and keeps it from dropping heavier with a full bottle. Usually Mec bushings do drop a tad light.For instance my single stage loader drops almost a full grain light with Green Dot.The latest Chart says a 31 Bus. drops 19 grains of Green Dot, but I have to go to a 32 to get that. The "only" way to be sure is WEIGH some charges with the lot of powder you have on hand.
  16. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

MEC told me that there can be as much as a 1.5 grain drop difference between their single stage and progressive machines. I load my practice loads on a 9000 and my ATA shells on a single stage Sizemaster. There is a 2 bushing difference between the two machines to get the same powder drop.
  17. StansCustoms

No kidding...That seems excessive to me...wonder what makes the big difference.???
  18. hmb

hmb Active Member

The difference is that you pull the handle once to get a loaded shell between powder drops on the 9000. On the sizemaster you pull the handle 6 times between powder drops, this causes the powder to settle down in the bushing and increases the drop weight. HMB
  19. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

I wasn't going to post that twice...
  20. StansCustoms

Thanks and duly noted the first time claybrdr...and seconded by HMB.

It still seems excessive to me. That much deviation makes reloading very unpredictable with that kind of variable....regardless of what amount of shaking is going on.

I have noticed quite a bit of variation with my progressive Mec 650 from my first drops to a couple of hundred shells later. (14.6 to 15.7 grns. to be precise this time around...28 gauge)...and I'm really attempting to be very smooth with my pulls....trying not to rattle the loader a lot.

I just received the red plastic baffels...which I am hoping will add to the stability of the drop. In the mean time I'm going to reduce the size of the bushing because I would rather be light on the powder than heavy....especially in the higher pressure subgauge reloads.

Best regards..Stan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.