1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meat Shooters Allowed at Your Club?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Portland Gun Club has meat shoots, but, only sanctioned trap loads are allowed, due to the proximity of homes and apartments surrounding the club.<br>
    <br>
    Meat shoots are fun. I won a turkey and a ham my first time in novice class.

2. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Yes,we call them turkey or knockout shoots. Great fun. GOOD LUCK

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

We just call them Oakleys, but at the club that throws registered targets, when they have a game day with Oakleys included, are supposed to shoot legal loads.

There are a couple of clubs around that throw targets on alternate weekends that are Wildcat Oakleys, no rules on shells, even stuff like 1 7/8oz of 4-5's.

But only on days that the shoot is a benefit for the Lions Club/Boys town etc etc, do they shoot for meat. Most of the time it's for the pot.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BTW, you might also be interested in "card shoots". This isn't an aerial target game, but shooting playing cards, with the goal of seeing who can put the most pellets into a playing card at long distance. Some shooters have specially prepped guns just for this shoot. Turkey guns, or at least turkey barrels with turkey chokees, are common. I've seen Remington pumps and autos with extra long factory barrels. And even an iron sighted Marlin 12ga Goose Gun that was pretty impressive for pattern.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

SBray:
    Ok A meat shooter don't have any rules as far as the amount of powder and lead if he can still stand up after shooting the pay load then thats good.

Ok I have shot many of them and loaded everything from 1 1/2oz of shot on down to a 1 ounce also a lot of powder so it will go fast.

I think you are right as calling it as pot shooters at least here in KY I miss that type of shooting because that is what got me started in shooting registerd shooting now days I got to drive 100 miles to just even shoot anything unless I want to shoot skeet and I would rather make the 100 mile trip instead.

Ok maybe some gun clubs has different rules than the ones I growed up on but the 0nes I went to was shoot what you want

Foggy

6. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

In my part of OK we called it "Elimination". Everyone threw in $5 and we paid so much per target that was taken out of the pot, and the winner kept the remainder. Supposed to shoot normal trap loads but a few high brass 6's always found their way to the ground. We would have 15 or more shooters sometimes so the pots were nice. Also shot with three shooters at the ready and called it "Texas Elimination". Shot from 30 yds and the trap set in the #3 hole. Lots of fun, especially if you are the #3 shooter trying to hold that release trigger. Also, any type of safe gamesmanship was allowed.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There are a lot of small clubs in this area that have a very healthy attendance on game nights.There are between 20-40 shooters on any given night. I can shoot M,T,W,F,and Sat. nights with in a 90mi. drive. We only shoot for money in this neck of the woods.

As far as shell restrictions, there are none other than it has to be a 2 3/4" shell except for 410's are you allowed to use a 3" shell. We shoot 410 annies from the 16yd line and regular annies/protections are shot from the 25-27yd line depending on the club.

ec90t

8. dfm

dfm Member

We have annies, backers (protection), and bluebirds (two man team, if first shooter hits the bird, second shooter tries for a piece of the bird for extra points) in my neck-of-the-woods.

Most clubs have two groups of shooters: those wanting meat, those wanting money. They'll accomodate both groups on the same day using different fields. The money shoots start at the 34 yardline and can end up in the parking lot.

There's no ammo restrictions. A lot of folks use the Federal value pack stuff from Wal-Mart. There's always some guy thinking a 3" 12 gauge or 10 gauge is the way to go but they don't last long. The dyed-in-the-wool money shooters usually cook up buffered handloads with 1.25 - 1.50oz. of shot (4's, 5's, or 6's) @ 1200-1300fps and run them through a full or xfull choked gun.

It's great fun. Good people, food, and the chance to win a little folding money is always appealing.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

9. outlaw2

outlaw2 TS Member

In minnesota, we shot alot of Annie Oakley or elimination. We shot alot of Turkey shoots also. The Annies you line up at 27 yds.and the elimination begins and usualy when it gets down to a few shooters the lead shooter will pick a spot of his choice way way back and shoot off .If he misses and doesnt get knocked out by the other shooters the next shooter up picks his spot etc. But its not as popular as it once was.It was a whole lot of fun, some clubs even supplied the shells .Some shooters had their pet loads, but Ive seen as many shoots won with factory loads if your good your good. outlaw2

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We call them "Annie's" also, for Annie Oakleys. Our Turkey shoot is a "sliding" Annie - we start up front so everyone can get a chance to participate and as the line thins out we start backin''em up...out to 27.

Our Turkey shoot is a "single" elimination (some clubs allow for 2 or more) cost runs $1/squad, and we limit our guys/gals to 2 birds for the night.

Jay Spitz

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My definition of a meat_shooter is similar to the above. Anything shooter that regular shoots for money, meat and prizes. many varied forms of the games that are played to be considered one. Besides those above simple games of 3,4,5 targets shot by as few as 5 shooters in to a max of 10 with leadoff person picking any spot he wanted to start and all others shoot from that spot or line up across at that distance. Many times you start out in the parking lot and then move back if there are ties. Situation is controlled for safety. At one annual shoot in Kansas we shoot from a cotton wood tree that is 90 pces behind the trap. As for loads, all clubs have their own rules as to what is allowed. Clubs that annual have this type of shooting usually allow anything your big_enough to stick in your gun and yes I have witnessed some who shouldn't been allowed to use theirs for safety reason!

Keep in mind that if you get into reloading "wildcat_loads", be sure you can shoot them for several hours without recoil interference. Its not about how big, fast mean of a load you can develop but rather an affective one for long distance games that allows you to shoot alot of shells for hours!

12. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

We used to call them Annie Oakley's Three shooters all mount for the call the first shooter shoots if he misses and the second shooter breaks his target he is eliminated If the second shooter misses the third shooter shoots the same bird if he breaks it the first two are out shoot till there is only one left. Used to be any thing goes for shells.as long as they fit a 2&3/4 inch hull.

13. Odawgp

Odawgp TS Member

Ya Game night, no rules, We only keep score because there is a small pot involved. most of the ATA guys ussually win. still fun. We even have a moth shoot. no money no score buy we all line up under the lights and shot at them much like an Anne Oakly. first guy shoots and We just keep shooting in order until the moth is hit, or flies away then the second guy start the next one off and so on. alot of fun if you have ever tried to hit a moth its like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks. they buzz around like a stunt plane with nitrous.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I will slide in with my .02 cents worth, we shoot a lot of buddy shoots arpund here, being Bucyrus, Snake Road, Hill Top, Charley's, Tri County, Middletown, Tri City in Ky.

Most have a shell limit as no 3 inch shells, but that is it. You shoot what you brung, mst shooters use factory loads on first shot on buddies, with 1 1/4 oz of shot for their back ups, usually #7s or #6s, 800-X Powder is very popular as is Longshot, 4756, 7625, Etc.

There are a lot more non-registered shooters than there are registered. There is no sandbagging in buddy shoots, there is nothing to gain. To get more money you have to break more targets.

Typical buddy shoot is a 60 bird shoot, shot in 10 bird events, The very big buddy shoot at Tri-City and Middletown, eac 10 bird event is shot off at the end of the shoot, that is you have to break a 10 to get in the shoot off. There is also a calcutta sold on the teams on the total 60 targets.

While they are figuring the 60 bird calcutta payout we shoot the 10 bird shootoffs, I have seen each 10 bird worth $600.00, there are a lot of splits between 2 teams that tie, because half is $300.00 and that is $150.00 per man.

That more than pays for the whole nights shooting expenses.

Ask Middletown Manager Chuck Hazzlett what kind of shoot makes the club more money with less complaints than registered targets, is his Saturday afternoon
    calcutta with big payouts, and now the buddy shoots. The shooters come in good and bad weather to shoot those shoots.

Dr.longshot

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey SkipC, where do you shoot?

ec90t

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I shoot at Cloverdale, Linton, Spencer, and sometimes at Round Grove. I have been to Campbellsberg a time or two.

What's the program like at Coffee Creek, and what night do they shoot? I may have to make it over that way some night.

ec90t

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

SkipC we call that an ANNIE OAKLEY here around Ohio.

Dr.longshot

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

We shoot a lot of "games" and "bird races" in the Louisville, KY area plus some ATA. Other clubs out in the state also a lot of games.

In years past, I have shot for big hams and beef roasts but now it is simply money.

At out club, we usually finish up the evening with a "big killer" and a "bird race" with a Calcutta on each. We shoot other games before that. If we get a tie with several shooters still in the hunt, we play a follow the leader where you may shoot from way back or from way back and way to the side.

The "bird race" is usually a combination of 16 yard and handicap targets with the handicap being your ATA yardage.

The games have no restrictions on ammo except that everyone I know shoots 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge. The games are very competitive and some shooters shoot at a different club three or four times a week. You see a lot of high end trap guns plus the ever present Remington 870/1100 and Winchester Model 12 shotguns.

I used to load up to 40 grains of Blue Dot and 1 ½ oz of shot. Now I use a 2 ¾ - 11/8 – 7 ½ for most shots with a 1 ¼ oz load of copper plated 5’s or 6’s at around 1150 fps for the 4th shot on killers.

The games involve money and are very competitive.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I will have to do that Skip. I usually go to Spencer on Saturday nights (Been averaging about 35 shooters), but will make it a point to stop by. I might even bring some friends. Thanks Skip.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cloverdale conservation club turkey shoot