1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meat and chicken shoots are a lot of fun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I don't know about some of you, but I have had a lot fun over the years going to non registered meat and chicken shoots.

Years ago, Dick Bennett the former owner of the Big Muskego gun club would give out rather large Porterhouse steaks for prizes that he would purchase from a area butcher. These steaks were huge and so tender and good tasting, that I swear you did not need a knive to cut through them.

At first, only the winners of a 16 yard 50 target event would receive them, but soon afterwards he also rewarded anyone who shot a 50 straight with the same steak.

I recall one Sunday walking into the club house and one of the well known resident crazies at the club stoped me and said "Stevie, I saw you won a steak, so did I. Why don't we flip a coin for each others steak as it would be nicer to have two so our wives could also have one to eat with us"?

Jokeinly, I said ok, as I pulled out a quarter out of my pocket and as I flipped the coin I said heads I win, tails you loose. He said fine. I said it's tails, you loose. He actually through the steak at me, then proceeded to floor his Bonneville out of the parking lot, kicking up stones against the club house.

I was laughing so hard I could hardly breath. I chased him down with my car and pulled him over and told him what happened, and gave him both steaks. This guy has one of the worst tempers I have ever seen, but even he had to laugh about it.

I remember walking into my house a few weeks later with a freshly wrapped steak that I had just won. I was so proud as I gave it to my wife. She asked me how much did this stake actually cost me? I hesitated, and then said around $68.00. She rolled her eyes as I told her "but I won it".

Anyone else have any fun shooting meat and chicken shoots? Anyone ever win a lot of meat to feed the family?
    Steve Balistreri

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Happens at our club every shoot because every shoot is a meat shoot

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

They are where I do our grocery shopping. Fill that freezer.

Don

4. kettles kritter

kettles kritter Member

my buddy and I shot partner shoot for whole hog. it cost us 20 a piece, broke 25 straight,won then had to pay for processing. a lot of fun those partner shoots are.

kettle

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just came home from Oxford with a couple nice packages of thick cut smoked bacon...I agree these shoots are way more fun than registered

6. senior smoke

At the time I won these above mentioned steaks, steaks were going for about $5.00 to $8.00 each at the local grocery store. I shot quite a few times and when I did finally win, I really didn't think that the steak I won cost about $68.00.

Regardless, these are good memories. What other sport allows you to participate, have some laughs with friends, and gives you meat to bring home? Only in America.
    Steve

7. CalvinMD

I usually get lucky at meat shoots and to me they beat the heck out of freezing my butt off sitting in a swaying tree at the crack of dawn

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Steve never explain to your wife the price per pound. I also know guys that will stop at the grocery store on the way home, to have something to show the wife.

Don

9. senior smoke

Don:
    LOL, as that is a great idea. My wife is aware of the thousands of dollars I have spent in trapshooting over the years. She accepts it, as she knows I love the sport and feels it's healthy to compete and hang out with friends at the gun club.

BUT, the few times that I seldom if ever win meat or chickens, or turkeys, she will ask me how much did I spend for that piece of meat? She then figures the amount, price per pound, and either rolls her eyes at me, or shakes her head in disbelief.

She asked me one time, "while you are shooting do you ever calculate how much the meat has actually cost you"? I say, no way, that's all I need is more things to creep into my mind and then I drop even more targets.

I am a lucky guy, as she likes my shooting friends and the sport, and also feels like I do that most trapshooters are great people.
    Steve

10. CalvinMD

Just explain how much more booze cigars and hookers would cost

11. senior smoke

CalvinMD:
    Over the past 43 years of trapshooting, with all the money I have spent in this game, I could have purchased a cigar store and maybe, well, lets just leave it at that, as my wife sometimes reads my threads.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting game called meat shoot