1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

measuring Length of pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brady509, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

How do I measure lop on a gun? Or can I figure out what my lop is without a gun?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

LOP is from the middle of the trigger to the middle of the butt pad. A gun has the correct LOP if, when mounted correctly, there is about 1- 1 1/2" between your thumb and your nose. That's where you start the process, then fine tune. Mark

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Oregunner's answer. Not the top or bottm of the trigger; the middle. Also, the middle of the butt (vertically). I also concur with him about distance between thumb and nose. Mike

4. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

And if your trigger blade is adjustable, can be moved forward or back, do you measure where the blade is now or to the middle of the adjustment?

5. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

For me I adj. the trigger so it is in the middle of the pad of my index finger with a my hand in comfortable normal position on the grip since your are not going to change this area without some serious whittling/refinishing on the wood.

Then measure LOP, it makes my stock feel longer than it is when I have to roll my hand/wrist to reach the trigger.

I just went thru this with a new gun that has a larger grip/palm swell and longer in the wrist than my other guns, I ended up putting a thinner pad and moving the trigger back about 1/4in. to remove approx 1/2in. of pull. If I had not moved the trigger and cut off the stock I would have been kicking myself for a long time.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

2000 Olympic champion

7. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all. Never have thought there was a site like this. I have learned more this last week then I ever thought. Truly unbelievable. Thank you!

Brady Gies

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

All of these answers are just starting points for lop. There are a lot of variables, like the way you stand. If you stand more square to the trap house you will need a shorter lop, like wise standing more inline with the trap house will need a longer lop. To me I just adjust it to where I feel the most comfortable and can swing the gun smooth.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Some sporting clays shooters actually have their nose ahead of their thumb, and have to put the thumb on the side rather than wrap it around the neck of the stock.

A measurement more important that LOP is the distance from the pistol grip to the butt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.