1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

measuring chokes???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Leon47, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon47

Leon47 Member

When you obtain a set of aftermarket chokes, how many of you take the time to mike them against their marked constrictions? What would you consider within tolerances or specs? I just measured a set of six and not one was right on. A few of them were as far off as .003. What do feel is acceptable? Maybe I'm too particular, but I'd like to see them +/- .001. Is that asking too much??? Lets hear your opinions...

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They should be whatever is printed on the choke tube + or - .0005. HMB

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

First of all what measuring device did you use, you said mentioned a ""Mike ' or " MIC " Please tell me how you measured the tubes with a MIC, try using s Bore Gauge ( otherwise called a Barrel Reader )
    <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=BoreGauge.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I have a Skeet’s bore gauge micrometer. Very inexpensive to compared to the Baker but works well.

Your choke constriction will be the difference between the bore size and inside diameter of the your choke. I have found that company's like Remington and Browning were way off on their choke constrictions. In fact it’s down right scary on how far they are usually off in size.

I recently bought a set of Angle Port choke tubes for my Beretta 687 and was amazed on how accurate they were. I would say .001 is acceptable. Please be sure your reading your bore size correctly and not just what the manufacture says it should be.

Dale,

5. Leon47

Leon47 Member

Drhuner,
    That is the exact same bore gauge that I used. I guess mic or mike may not have been the way to describe it. I have a bore gauge and know how to use it. More opinions please...

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Ok Leon at least now I know you have the right tool, what brand of tubes are you measuring ???? most after market tubes are closer than some factory tubes, especially Browning I have found them to be way off.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Are they marked by "constriction" or diameter or name, Leon? If by diameter and they aren't close, then you have a case.

If it bugs you, you might decide to keep the ones you thing are close enough, if any, and send the rest back so you at least have something to shoot now.

Practically speaking, I doubt there would be any effect on score in the tighter range, but I know how aggravating something like that can be.

Neil

8. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

FYI: choke tube manufacturers offer "exact" service. You'll pay extra for it, but the tubes will be to the exact dimension you ask for.

Remember that choke is a performance, not a (dial) measurement. Some years ago, Clay Shooting magazine ran a fascinating test by Richard Rawlingson using various chokes from several manufacturers measured exactly IC to the test gun and got results from blown patterns to full choke.

- - Bill

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

BunkerGuy, any idea what year that might have been? The name helps - I see he co-authored the Digweed book - but I'd sure like to snag a copy. I don't know a thing about IC chokes but have a couple of guns with them and one I can hit something with, the other, way less. Maybe it's worth spending a little time on, if only for my own education.

Neil

10. Leon47

Leon47 Member

The tubes I am measuring are Comp-N-Chokes. I re-zero the reader on each tube, measuring each twice. The tubes are marked in points. 0, 5, 10, etc, measured off a bore diameter of .733. The closest I get is within .001, with the others being .002 to .003 off. They are all looser than marked. I wouldn't mind as much if they were a few points tighter than marked.

11. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

To Neil:

Clay Shooting article had to have been at least 3 years ago. If you can't run it down, I think I can get a copy to you. Once I find it... It's in one of those boxes!

- - Bill

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Chokes can be way off when you measure them. They can easily be a full constriction off. To further complicate it chokes don't always throw what they measure. You can have a choke that measures full but doesn't throw a full pattern. The only way to know for sure is to pattern them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

measuring choke on a trap gun