1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meadow Industries crossfire blinder, anyone use th

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skipsor, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipsor

skipsor Member

Does anyone use this gadget and does it work for you? I am a left handed shooter and I'm right eye dominant. I have only seen one of them and the shooter told me it helped him.

I have tried the tape on the lens method and closing one eye without much success and it's getting frustrating missing birds.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

you can make a small blinder from a thin piece of plastic and stick it on the side of the rib with clear silicone sealer. works great.

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Motordoctor, can you give the dimensions of the sight blinder? 10tenner

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I used to use one but I've since switched to a dot.

The blinder is about 1/4" wide on each side and about 3 inches long. It really only needs to be as wide and as long as is necessary to block the bead from the off eye. They're easy to make but the trick is to find a material that is thin enough and stiff enough that it doesn't look like a pole sticking up from the end of the barrel. My husband made my last one out of .015" tin plate sheet metal from a hobby shop, painted it flat black and applied it with Meadow Industries double-stick tape.

The problem is that the off eye still sees it, and better than the bead. You're not supposed to see the bead anyway, so I took off the blinder and painted the bead flat black. That helped a lot but I wear the dot anyway. It has had no bad effects on my scores.

Carol Lister

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

go to office max and buy one of theplastic 8 1/2 X 11 folders for reports. they come in different thickness. cut oneout from that material and fold it in half. hair dryer works great to keep the fold. cut and fit around the rib on the side to be slightly above the rib.I use clear silicone sealer to stick it on and it can be removed if needed. I also use some of that stuff to make glasses blinders. it works great and you can make them any size you want. I copy a regular set of blinders and make them longer in the front to vlock the person on my right.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a Meadow Industries rib blinder but it fell off with handling in a soft gun case. I now use the Uni-Dot crossfire preventer and I believe it has bought me at least 7 more years of two-eyed shooting. Phil Kiner has much experience with cross-firing in his classes. He recommends trying a rib blinder, then the hooded fiber optic bead, then the Magic Dot and then larger patches of tape and finally closing the off/eye completely. Note that for advanced cases of cross-firing the rib blinder is the first resort Not the last resort.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have one on one of my barrels. Not sure if it really works for me. I'm just too lazy to remove it and try without it. It's easy to install. Just warm the rib a little before you put it on, or warm it a little after you place it. It helps the tape set. I use a real heat gun, very lightly. A hair dryer could probably do as well, just not quite as quickly. Just be sure to position it and try it out before setting it in place with the tape. A small rubber band or two will help you get it in position and line it up before applying the tape. Read the instructions that come with it, since they give a pretty good idea about how to do it.

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

MikeTMX is correct about the sequence of steps to deal with cross-dominance. I used the Meadow Industries blinder, then went to the Magni-Comp Sight, then tape, and now finally a full flip-down blinder.

I find, at least in my case, that if I do not use the flip-down blinder, my dominance will shift during the acquisition of and initial tracking of the clay, causing me to have a good "sight picture", but still miss the clay...very frustrating.

In any event, the Meadow Industries blinder attached securely to my gun when I followed the installation instructions, it just wasn't sufficient to solve my problem. Hopefully it will work for you.

bluedsteel

9. B V

B V TS Member

I have a meadow industries blinder on each of my competition guns.

I have used them for many years and I am not even aware of them being there when shooting.

I keep a couple of spares and add them to every gun I get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

meadow industries

meadow industries crossfire eliminator
meadow industries sight blinder
medow industries
sight blinder crossfire reducer