1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ME, VT, NH, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick Vacation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

My wife and I are going on an extended vacation to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Nova Scotia and briefly through eastern New Brunswick. Anybody got any recommendations on things to see (both gun related and non-related), places to stay and places to eat in these states/provinces?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

DoubleAuto

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

when you traveling?

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Fundy Natiopnal Park in New Brunswick. Stay there for at least a couple of tide changes in the Bay of Fundy. Quite an experience to see the shoreline rise 20 ft or so up the cliffs as the tide comes in.
    Cape Breton National park in the Cape Breton Highlands, Nova Scotia.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Take a ride on the Cabot Trail, you can go into a real coal mine in Cape Breton, Go to the Maritime Museum & the Citadel in Halifax, to see the tides & have a great lobster diner go to Hall Harbour. there is a really nice drive inn theatre in PEI & finally stay at B&B's in Canada--there regulated & much nicer than hotels or motels.

Phil Berkowitz

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Even thought I've lived in Vermont for almost 40 years, I can't give you much help. The leaves are pretty this time of the year...

If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best......

bruce

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Double Auto, If you are crossing from Maine to NB through St. Stephen there is a Fundy Trail that starts At St. Martins on the coast and ends at the Big Salmon River. North of that is Fundy park which is nice also. Just North of the park is Cape Enrage, nice lighthouse etc; then you could head for the Confederation Bridge into PEI. There is also a lot of pretty country along the St. John River valley all the way from Hampstead area up through Nackawick beyond Fredericton. You will want to take the old shore roads along the river, not the new highway of rte 2. Gagetown area and just below are very pretty from the south side of the river, good apples and a winery nearby.

To include Nova Scotia you can take a ferry from St. John over or you could do the trip through NB to PEI and then it's a short drive East to NS, see what you want and then the ferry back to St. John and up the river valley area and cross back at Houlton,ME. Halifax is a beautiful city and you should tour the old fort on the highest part of the city if you make it that far.

The Maritimes are very pretty especially in the Fall. I shall be in Coles Island, NB come the first of October, opening day for birds. Have a great trip, Bob

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Stop in Frederickstown NB and dont be afraid to spend some time in a couple of the towns

There is a road that goes along the St Johns river as I remember it

Halifax is another one-

Maine- you cant see much as you drive north when you leave the coast- so dont spend a lot of windshield time looking at pine trees or firs - but get up to Canada

Gene

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. We will be leaving from southeast Tennessee next Tuesday (9/22/2009). Have never been in the vacation area before and are really looking forward to it.

Again, thanks for the information. Getting out the map to mark down the routes mentioned above.

DoubleAuto

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: it can be a major hassle to take firearms into Canada.

I'm in and out of Canada all the time, was just up last Sunday at a sporting clays shoot.

A 6o day permit to take long guns into Canada cost $25 (Can).

The paperwork is processed at the border the day you cross (20 minutes or less). You can download the form from the internet and have it filled out and ready to go.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

Prior to entering Canada you must stop at US customs and have a Customs Form 4457 completed. A one time requirement. This allows you to bring the firearm(s) back into the US without problem. You can have this accomplished at any US customs station prior to travel if you wish.

All adults entering the US must have a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License.

10. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

The long lake sporting club restraunt in Sinclair ME is no doubt one of the best north of Bangor or south for that matter,

207 5437584

Craby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.