1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

McDonald vs. Chicago March SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by JACK, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This Chicago Tribune story tells of Otis McDonald and his quest to overturn the handgun ban in Chicago of some 28 years. The article is important because it put a "face" on the impending lawsuit to be heard in March. A very good read.

Jack

2. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Thanks for the link, Jack. Interesting read. As most folks on this forum do, I wish Mr. McDonald well. This is an important case.
    Jerry

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Very nice article but it misses the main point.

This is a case not about guns, but whether the 14th Amendmend makes the ENTIRE Bill of Rights apply to the States. Because it would limit the laws that Liberals could impose on others, they do not want the Bill of Rights to apply to the States.

As noted by the article this is a BIG case.

Note, every State that seceded from the Union to form the Confederacy signed on to a brief in support of applying the Bill of Right to the States. They know that the 14th Amendment was meant, among other things, to prevent white people in the Southern States from abridging the right of freed slaves to keep and bear arms. Only the Liberal States like the Peoples Republic of New Jersey are against the Bill of Rights.

This will either be a 9-0 or a 5-4 vote at the Supreme Court. 9-0 if the Liberal wing is willing to apply the 14th Amendment as ratified. 5-4 if the Liberals vote according to how THEY want it to be rather than how it really is

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

BM13. Yes. I liked the article just for your comment. It was a fuzzy down-home read.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The NRA has now also been granted the opportunity to present oral argument. Should be very interesting....

regards all,

Jay

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Perhaps the jab at the Supreme Court during Oblamas State Of The Union address doesn't go unnoticed by the court.

Robert

7. Bushmaster1313

NRA argument will dilute MacDonald's thrust.

NRA took a contrary position to MacDonald's lawyers on a technical point.

This case was made possible because Bob Levy and the Cato Institute set up the Heller case and because Alan Gura, who is now Mr. MacDonald's attorney, won the Heller case. The NRA didn't do squat for decades and they should stay out of a fight they should have started long ago.

8. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good story, thank you Jack. I hope that the NRA doesn't stick their nose into this and screw something up. I really can't remember seeing the NRA do much in the Chicagoland area for gunowners.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

That's quite a statement, that the NRA hasn't done "anything" for decades... Maybe the technical point you're referring to, requires an additional opinion to be made... I'm sure the NRA with its vast resources didn't decide to just jump in on a "fluke".

From the article I read in the Trib, it was somewhat of a fluke that the case which made Heller and noted in the Scalia opinion was found in the first place... if it is your assertion that the NRA should of found it a while ago, that is understandable, but sometimes, that is just how things happen.

As far as support for Chicago area issues, the NRA approved a grant for the legal defense of my Club and provide additional technical support during my legal battles in federal court.

Say what you will, but the NRA got Wilmette, Highland Park and others to lay down their gun ban ordinances; and the NRA's arguments in MacDonald may prove to be just as beneficial.

Respectfully offered,

Jay

10. Bushmaster1313

Jay:

The Heller case was a carefully planned and perfectly executed mission from the ground up. NRA was nowhere to be seen.

In the Chicago case the NRA seems to be a me too.

I never see anything from the NRA here in NJ.

However, the NRA Reply Brief is well written, see above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.