1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

McChrystal sacked for saying what grunts believe

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Bushmaster1313, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Does anyone disagree that General McChrystal was sacked because he and his staff said what almost every boot on the ground believes?

God Bless Our Troops

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Anarchist Barack Channel (ABC) spent half their program tonight on this and never once quoted McChrystal or told exactly what he said. Do we have to buy a Rolling Stone rag to find out?

3. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

PROOF if you disagree with "The Anointed One" you are gone!!! I still don't understand why everyone is so blind to this guy!!!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

People are blind to this guy because he is the Anointed one, Watch the way he looks at people if you don't believe it ... Somebody should back hand him on National Television to wake up the rest of the world ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

McChrystal is not a quitter, but couldn't stay in the job. I am sure he knew what he was doing when he made the statment. Quiting with out saying, "I Quit". He may get to lead another army if this sh-- goes on much longer.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

How about a different perspective.

McChrystal saw the level of (non) support he could expect from the current administration and figured it would lead to either prolonged ineffective and costly, both in finances and KIA/WIA, with no real sucessful outcome possible (aka; Viet Nam) or that the defeat was already in the Administration's plans and they were just marking time till they could find a military scapegoat that they could blame for the defeat.

In either case McChrystal did not want any part of what he saw was coming but did not just want to quit so he set up the conditions where he could actually get published some truthful revelations, even though they would be (or maybe because they would be) taken as derogatory by the CIC. He might have done this with full knowledge that the result would be his resignation or termination.

Part of being a good General is knowing not only the military capabilities of your foe but also his/her physiological profile and how they would react to a challenge. It is entirely possible, nee probable, that McChrystal knew EXACTLY what he was doing and what the results would be. He could, rightly, figure that Obama and Co. would take ANY sort of criticism as a direct insult to their "superior knowledge and intelligence" and their automatic knee-jerk reaction would be to want the "head" of anyone audacious enough to challenge their view and actions.

Comparisons are being made to Gen. Douglas MacArthur. Seems to me that he was the leader in the Korean "Police Action" and worked himself out of that job by challenging Truman. Could MacArthur have seen the future and knew that there was going to be no successful action ending in voctory in the long term and wanted no part of what was being played out? Remember, we are still at WAR with North Korea. There has NEVER been a treaty. The combat only (sort of) stopped when a TRUCE was signed by the political leaders of our country via the U.N.

It is entirely possible that McChrystal not only was aware of MacArthur but followed MacArthur's playbook to the letter.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Force Break,

I was writing my post which basically mirrors yours at the same time you were posting.

What was the saying, "Twice is coincidence. Three times is coordinated action."

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A 4 Star General does not make a mistake of this magnitude! Especially McChrystal!

He has a plan, it is not transparent yet, but you can bet he has a plan.

My theory is that he's going after Obama, either politically or by some other means.....

Curt

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You dont have freedom of speech in the military- the people that said that above dont understand.

Having said that- sometimes you withdraw vocally and maybe that is what is happening here. Who knows.

But what is clear is that in our country the military is controlled by the civilian elected government. Everyone in the military understands that.

That doesnt mean you dont state your points- you can- but sometimes there are risks.

What you dont do, is to be critical of the civilian government.

It can be no other way.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You are correct freedom of speech in the military comes at a cost, back when Watergate was going on I was at Chanute AFB in ILL for a short school, there was reporter in Champagne that was interviewing some people and he asked a buck Sgt what his opinion was, he was in uniform, off base, but he said something like Nixon's a crook,etc, when he got back to base, he got an Article 15 for subordination, I guess his commander liked Nixon

But I still can't stand the jerk that is calling himself president

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Grnberetcj (Curt):

You may very well be correct. I think that this ball game has a few more innings to go. What happens in the next three months will be interesting. There seems to be a lot of infighting between the civilian appointees, the Afgan government, the Military and the White House.

It looks like too many cooks and no one has a recipe.

Ed Ward

12. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I think there is a fundamental of leadership here that GEN Mc Chrystal violated; that is:

If your Boss is a jerk and is going down the wrong path you have to convince him privately that there is a better way. You can NOT allow your staff to bad mouth the Boss, even if you share their disdain. That criticism will take on a life of it's own and become a bigger problem for you than the jerk Boss; this,in my view, is what happened to GEN Mc Chrystal.

The office must be respected even if the individual in it does not deserve the respect.

Jim

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Y'all need to check your facts.....

We are not, nor were we ever at "WAR" with North Korea.

We have not been in a state of "WAR" with anyone since 1947.

We are not at "WAR" now....

McChrystal......will quietly retire and assume a consulting position for someone like Raytheon, or General Dynamics with an obscene salary.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

He violated rule #1. Don't speak badly about the Big Dog publicly.

From Roosevelt to O'bama, it's always held true.

15. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

In South Korea, the war is called the "June 25th War", although some use the term "????", which means Korean War. In North Korea, the war is called the "Fatherland Liberation War". In China the war is called ????, which roughly translates as "The Anti-American War In Support of North Korea". In the United States, the conflict was termed a police action (as the Korean Conflict) under the aegis of the United Nations rather than a war, largely in order to remove the necessity of a Congressional declaration of war.

I guess what you call it depends on what sidew you are on.

Vietnam was a "Military Assistance Program". I forget what they call Grenada, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, etc. Many of the other "military actions" that resulted in the the involvement of U.S. troops had other technical "names" not called war but the results were exactly the same as the definition of war acts.

Yes, once we got World War II finished, the U.S. politicians have not had the "(circular bouncing objects)" to actually come out and call anything a war. What the politicians called it didn't seem to make a bit of difference to the men and women who died or were wounded.

The link below can give you some idea of what the U.S. military has been involved with for the past couple hundred years.

<a href ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations"> Military Timeline</a>

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Exactly what I posted on the other thread this morning. Nobody wants to go down in history as a failure. You can either resign quietly...or you can do it during a drunken night on the gay streets of Paris with a Rolling Stone reporter in tow, saying exactly what everybody knows and thinks anyway.

Someone else will go down as the failure.

McChrystal will go down as the General we "should have listened to."

Obama's administration will go down as "those wimps in the White House."

I'll post the link above, for anyone who wants to read the actual RS article.

17. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Funny how the American who would have died to defend the Constitution was fired by the Kenyan who is trying to kill it.

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If this was about defending the Constitution, we would not be in this mess.

By skirting the Declaration of War, there can be no outcome, no end, no peace, whats so hard about this to understand.

Keep in mind the meaning of the 2nd Amendment can just as easily be interpreted by which side your on.

Back in the days of Vietnam, all we heard from Westmoreland was, without more troops, "Communism"... will devour the world.......this is becoming just another "ism"

Cause and effect.....it will not end until the people say enough is enough......there is no, nor will there ever be a military solution......without a declaration of war.

This is high times for the Military Machine.....thet will never cut their own throat.

This is the summit, to a soldiers career, the generals dream......war.

We need to put them (The Military Machine) back in their cage before this gets out of hand.

19. Smiley

Smiley Member

What occurs to me is that General McChrystal is no fool and has read his history carefully.No one has ever subdued the Afghans,the Russsians being the last to try and getting their ass kicked good for no gain.Gen McChrystal can probably see that it a no win situation and that lives are being lost for stupid reasons,probably the best resolution would be to buy the whole Opium crop off the local growers,if the Taliban then threatened the locals to obtain the funds they require to carry on the war with the west these growers after a while would not support them as nobody likes to have their hard earned money taken from them.
    JMHO Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.