1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

McCain + Vets -- Right

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

Since everyone seems to have missed this i will post it.

He decided he will not back additional benefits for veterans to go to college,unless they spend more time in the military. two years isnt long enough??

bill

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

No, it is not...

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What was the minimum length of service to be eligible under the original GI Bill?

4. Brian in Oregon

Juno, quote: "....Only those who have served should actually VOICE their opinion." <br>
    <br>
    So are you saying our soldiers fought and died so only they would have First Amendment rights? Do you have any idea of the irony of your statement?

5. Juno

Juno TS Member

Brian, it was just my "opinion" that only those that have served should "voice" theirs about this particular subject. For instance how can someone be an authority on a subject if they know absolutely nothing about it? It's like, unless your ass has been in a war don't try to tell me what it's like. I don't want to hear about what it's like to run 100 straight from someone who has yet to shoot a consecutive 25.

Juno

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a veteran (NOT from the Civil War LOL), I would submit that successful completion of a three year commitment should qualify one for benefits. This is typically what a volunteer signs up for and commits to. If you fulfil your commitment, you should get the bennies.

If one is going to make a career in Federal service, they should have access to higher learning while in service. This is fair, so a good livlihood can be made after service. I always recommend a civilian transitional skill be learned in the Military.

When I enlisted, we were assured we would have lifetime benefits. Nixon took those away, and decades later, I finally was able to get under the Veteran's Administration umbrella for health care. Something I was promised 40 years ago.

7. Brian in Oregon

Juno, first, not all soldiers have been in combat. Since you specified combat as a criteria for free speech, would that mean those soldiers who were not in combat should be excluded, included non-combatant medical personal?<br>
    <br>
    I also find it interesting that you're asking for taxpayer money to fund this program, yet do not want the very people you want the money from to have any say in it.<br>
    <br>
    As for this being a touchy subject, yes, you made it so when you decided that not everyone has a First amendment right to free speech.<br>
    <br>
    I feel we should do whatever is possible to fully support our soldiers, regardless of their combat status. It seems reasonable to fund a GI Bill. ESPECIALLY for those who were repeatedly sent back for additional tours involuntarily. But I guess my support doesn't count, and I should stifle myself from supporting the troops, right?

8. Juno

Juno TS Member

This can't possibly be Brian talking!! I did not specify combat as a criteria for free speech. Jeez. It was an example. As was the 100 straight analogy. This is too simple to complicate. Or is it too complicated for the simple?

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Please do not take this out of context, but for every warrior on the front line, there MUST be support staff to outfit, supply, train, feed, clothe, care for, transport, etc.

Unfortunately, this ratio is NOT 1:1! It is more like 7 or 8 to 1. The support staff is in harm's way, too.

As one who voluntarily enlisted, I still say a full term of honorable service in whatever capacity should open the benefits spigot.

Repeated deployment should count for something. Considering the amount of money given by our govt' to illegals, and many others, WHOM WE PAY FOR MERELY EXISTING, we should prioritize funds for those heroes who defend and support our nation.

One might consider increased benefits at retirement age, and enhanced VA health care benefits for our warriors who were asked to give more.

If I had been given a monetary bonus when I got home from overseas, it would have long been gone. To get the same bonus, or increased monthly benefits when I start Social Security would mean a lot more!

10. Juno

Juno TS Member

And as for the first amendment. I think some "guys" grossly misuse "their" right. I think Vietnam vets can vouch for that. I like the way Trace adkins put it: "Excuse me"? "First amendment"? "Son, the first amendment protects you from the government". "Not from me". "You come within reach of me and I'll excercise my right to give you a good ol country ass whoopin". "Is what I'll do for you, by God". Ha ha, I love it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.