1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe OT - Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

A bit off subject, but everyone at the trap club does speak loudly and a common word is "WHAT?" I'm no exception, and a recent hearing test shows moderate hearing loss in the higher frequencies. Hearing loss probably doesn't come from formal shooting at the rifle range or clay shooting where protection is worn, but likely while plinking or hunting, exposure to loud machinery, etc.. Also, 32 years of marriage....

The hearing test center let me borrow a set of Siemens Digital OTE (out of the ear) aids for 2 days, but to buy this type hearing aid is prohibitive at $1,500.00 each. The In the Canal type isn't suitable for my type hearing loss.

Assuming other shooters here have addressed the same problem, I ask if there are any less expensive alternatives, sources, and that work?? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. Harold

Harold TS Member

A fellow I know paid $3000 for a pair of hearing aids and he had to return them constantly for repair. When they ran out of warranty he went to Cabela's and bought one made for hunters for about $15 and that's what he uses.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The smallest completely in the ear type probably won't work for you but the larger in the ear type may work. I would try that before I got the hang on ear type. Get the one that can be adjusted for your frequency loss rather than one that amplifies all of the frequency range. Any of the Siemens brand will be expensive.

4. gotbass

gotbass Member

Had inside the ear and while they helped they were not near as good as the outside ones that I have now. If you can swing it get theo outside in a digital so that they can be programed for your specific loss. Nothing works as good as your own ears so don't expect not to have some issues like in loud resturants etc. Better than having to ask what all the time though.

5. willing

willing Member

I have had Siemans for 3 years now and no problems. Cost $4K, in the ear. The digitals can be programmed by your provider any time if more volume or frequency is needed. they come with differenf bands of frequency. More bands , more money. The cheapies amplify across the entire freq band and may actually hurt if they amplify the freq not needed. I just turn mine off when shooting or just barely on.

Bill

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Can't figure out why I can buy a watch with a 7 year battery, but most batteries for hearing aids have a very short life.

Hauxfan!

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Hauxfan, A hearing aid is a power amplifier and power amps suck a lot of juice.

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

After wrangling with the VA over service related hearing loss and being told that aids wouldn't help but if he insisted he could buy a pair for $2400, a buddy of mine went to Cabela's and bought a set of the in-the-ear, digital signal processing type used for hunting and loves them. He paid $800 for the set. My dad just got a set of aids from the VA and outwardly they appear the same as the ones purchased from Cabela's. I know/believe that they aren't the same. The point is that my buddy bought his with a 1 yr return, 2 yr warranty. My buddy is an electrical engineer and has considerable experience with audio circuitry. His comment was that the hunting model that he bought probably isn't as programable or as adjustable as the ones my dad has but they are a vast improvement over nothing at all. Occasionally 'good enough' is acceptable.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jerry, I've always wondered why, and now I know.

Hauxfan!

10. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I put it off for years but when I was guiding Turkey Hunters and a far off bird answered and I couldn't hear it buy my clients could I decided something had to be don. First tried a Walkers game ear and it was great except you have to have two of them to locate the bird. Then at the insisting of my wife I tried the siemens in ear type. Have been very happy with them. Got them on a promotional and with my insurance and medicare coverage only paid 800 total for both of them. The downside is I can hear everything my wife askes me to do but they are so small she doesn't know if I am wearing them or not so I just tell her I didn't hear what she said.
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.