1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe Last Hunt with my First Hunting Buddy.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luckyman, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I just got back from my first hunt of the year with my 11 year old Weimaraner and noticed her hind quarters starting to wash out on her....First time ever! I had to help her back to the car for the last hundred or so yards...It breaks my heart! She still found and pointed two roosters in that hour we hunted.... God Bless Her!!!! She has been fine on regular walks and have never noticed this before...As a 10 year old dog I hunted with her every week and she could go all day!!!The brush was rather thick today but that has never effected her before....It's like the muscles in her legs were getting so fatigued and wouldn't support her weight anymore...After seeing this I can't possibly take her hunting again....She is a very healtlhy dog with many good years left in her but it tears my heart to shreds that I won't be able to hunt with her again...

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I went down that road with one of my great hunting dogs. It does break your heart to see the end of their hunting days. But the dog will still want to go and be with you. Make the best of what ever time the two of you have left together by taking the dogs for a nice short walk each day and if possible maybee one or two more very short hunts this season.

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Thanks Wolfram....She is my first dog and is one of the best damm hunting dogs I have ever seen!!!! I just got done cleaning the birds I shot thinking to myself how she has never ever let me down!! You can actually see a picture of Lucky and I on the Browning Web-site in their Tropy case....Just type Mark Suda...This was a picture from our first hunt in SD a few years back...

4. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Have you had her condition evaluated by a Veterinarian? They may have some treatment available that would extend her hunting career. I believe arthritis is a common ailment for dogs, and it can be alleviated with medication.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our Black Lab had his hind legs collapse a couple of times on his last hunt @ 13 in 2005. He got right back up in pursuit of that wiley rooster and never gave up until he got his bird. The Vet said it was Cauda Equine syndrome a pinched nerve in his back. Joey is in Dog Heaven now and I never got another dog.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Take her to areas that don't tax her energies so much. Do it for HER.

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Marc and his dog.

[​IMG]

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My two dogs (now passed on) both had hip problems when they turned 11. I started giving them vitamins and glucosamine tabs from Pet Meds and a pack of gelatin in their food 2 - 3 times a week. The hips were never 100% but I did notice a dramatic improvement after 4 - 5 weeks of the supplements. Both were good for another 2 years! Best of luck with Lucky.

Bob Schultz

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

My dog is 11 and a half, haven't had her out this year yet.

At the beginning of last year I thought she was done. We went out for a hunt, let her run for a little over an hour, the next morning she could hardly walk. She gets exercise every day, but hunting and going all out is a lot harder than walking with me a couple of hours each day.

Thought I would let her retire, but she wouldn't hear of it. That dog can tell the difference between my trap gun and the 870 I use to hunt. I would get the 870 out and she wouldn't let me go with out her.

Well anyway I started limiting her time hunting, for a while, but at the end of the season she could go longer than I could.

I'm going to start her real slow this year, and hopefully we can hunt another year. When she gives it up, I'm going to do the same.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Luckyman- that does not look like a Browning Gold? Looks like one of those fall apart Berettas you talk about?? Sorry about your dog but I am really curious about the gun

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Gold Classic Stalker....BTW Lucky seems to be doing much better today! Just a little stiffness in her hind legs but she is walking around just fine...A far cry from yesterday when I had to basically carry her out of the field...Hopefully that wasn't her last hunt after all but I can't possibly see her in that physical state again....I will take it slow and see happens and keep everyone posted....

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and suggestions during this very difficult time!!!

12. emm2

emm2 Member

Take her on short hunts, you owe it to her as long as she has the desire to go. My 13 year old lab only hunts for an hour or so now but it would kill him if he didn't get to go anymore.

13. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Take her out as long as she can go. I didn't take my Brit out after she turned 14 because I was afraid she would hurt herself. I ended up putting her down the next spring and I still regret not taking her hunting that last year of her life. Good Luck.

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Just to let everyone know Lucky seems to be doing allot better this morning! Unbenounced to me she just walked up and down flight of wood stairs with no problem...I was in my office when I heard her paws hitting the stairs! I rushed to try and stop her but by the time I got there she was already at the top! I thought she would stay up there for a while but a few minutes later I heard her coming down! Once again I rushed to assist her just imaging the next sound I would hear is her tumbling down the stairs but she came down as easily as she went up..

Maybe I will only hunt her at the Chicken Farm I am a member at...Planted birds in some fields that have easy cover....The cover we hunted in yesterday was very thick switch grass and about 52 degrees but as I mentioned before conditions like that have never ever been an issue for her even as a 10 1/2 year old dog....She is definitely my baby and will get the best life I can possibly give her!! Hunting or no hunting....I'm leaning toward hunting though and I think she is too as I can't imagine leaving the house without her!

15. rrose

rrose TS Member

Marc
    I hope that you and Lucky can have more hunts together and make more memories. Seeing the pic of you and her brings tears to my eyes. 2 Years ago we had to put down my Weimeraner that I raised from a 6 week old put to the ripe ole age of 16. The vet said not many Weimeraners live that long but she did and was able to go pretty well until the last 2 years, not hunting but regular runs and exercise. She was a great companion and I still miss her a lot. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    randy

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What a beautiful Weimey. She simply radiates intelligence and confidence.

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

She is beautiful isn't she? Thank you Wireguy! She is as smart as she is beautiful....I am truly blessed that she is part of my family!

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

She seems genuinely proud to be in the picture.

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Marc: What a great friend you have there. I had a yellow lab that had hip problems at the age of 5. There were times that he couldn't get up. Well I read an article about Glucosamine/Chondroiten. We started him on one tablet (I believe it was 600mg) twice a day. I can't tell you how this helped the dog. I bought the tablets at Walmart. The same tablets humans take. If you buy them from the vet you will pay double. Try it and understand she is getting along in years. (As we all are). Your dog loves to hunt. Don't deprive her of this enjoyment. Just take her out on her "good days" and take her on shorter runs. She'll be happy and so won't you. Good Luck!! Ed

20. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

That was one of the proudest moments for both of us as Those were our first two " Wild South Dakota Roosters" on our first trip to Aberdeen South Dakota ever!

She locked solid on point for both of those roosters and the rest was history! She ended up tearing her leg open on some barbwire right after that and I had to take her to the local vet in town....She hunted the whole next day with stitches in her leg! God Bless that Dog!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.