1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe I'm asking too much

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Maybe I'm naive - or maybe just ignorant. One thing is certain, though, I tend to think too much and over analyze. It gets in the way of breaking targets, but working to control it has generally been a good thing for me.

Can anyone make a good S/A shotgun with a stock with adjustable LP, comb, and butt plate? Can they make it for $750.00 or less?

Larry

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

They might be able to in.......Turkey.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like your calling Larry. Make it and show 'em how its done. You'll sell thousands.

4. GrandpasArms

I'm thinking Rem 1100 with Jack West stock and a Bumpbuster pad, but that takes the cost up over a grand. Not by much, but still out of reach for someone just thinking about the sport. It just could be something an established shooter could make and carry along - justincase someone wants to try.

Used 1100s could be fitted to the Jack West. I wonder if one of the CZ S/As could be fitted that way? Hmmm......

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gramps, Yankee ingenuity can solve a lot of problems and can come up with terrific ideas. Like most everything else gun related, the first one always costs more to fabricate. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'd pick Tron's brain a tad and challenge him to come up with a solution, he's a perfectionist and he can do! Trolling is but one of his long suits.

Hap

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Contact The Kuhner... Joe's pretty thrifty...

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Used 1100 with choke tubes or multible barrels. Jack West stock with adjustable LOP (see link). Should be under $750. Mark

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You will limit your sales greatly by going with a black synthetic stock. There are a great deal of folks who will own nothing but wood. Even if its not highly figured wood. That said, a hydro dipped synthetic stock may solve that issue. While its not wood, it may close that gap. The bad part is, there adds more to bottom line. I think you'll find it will be tough to combine quality of any kind, adjustability and cost effective.

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Everyone should realize by now that the gun is the least expensive part of shooting.

10. GrandpasArms

Correct. The gun is the least expensive part. To a new shooter, though, the gun cost can establish whether they move ahead or not.

I'm just thinking that new people would be best served by an inexpensive, forgiving gun that would encouraging instead of discouraging. Once the shooter discovers that he/she does best with a little cast, a move of the comb, and some adjustment and cant to the butt plate, the next step is easy and driven more about want instead of need. Shooters NEED a gun that fits. They WANT that and one that suits their aesthetic senses (looks kewl).

There should be a new and used market for this kind of starter gun - and I can just imagine the potential for clubs to offer them as loaners, especially when there are training sessions.

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

GrandpasArms:

I think you are asking too much. $750 today is about $75 in 1972 dollars.

New Chevrolet in 1972: $3,500. New Chevrolet today: $35,000.
    Gal of gas 1972: $.35. Gal of gas today: $3.50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.