1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

May WTB RCBS Grand, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

I have a friend who wants to start reloading and the RCBS Grand has caught his eye. What are your experiences and how does it compare to other reloaders?

Thanks for your help.

bustclays

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Grand is a great loader backed by even greater service. The only reason I no longer use one is that my arthritis causes me pain when I operate any loader, I don't care for hydraulic systems and the Auto-Mate was first designed for MEC loaders. Accordingly, I now use a 9000GN.

The problem most Grand owners experience is buckled hulls and there is a trick to eliminating them. The instructions tell you to make sure the shot drop gate travels rearward to flush or at least 1/8" from flush with the charge bar housing (those component names will make more sense when you become familiar with the loader). By cutting open buckled shells, I found that unless the gate is fully rearward, buckling can occur because the wad column is not fully seated on the powder charge and is too high in the hull.

Travel of the gate is determined by the length of the lower shot drop tube. Call RCBS and request several lower POWDER drop tubes. They are smaller in diameter and will alleviate another problem common to loaders that drop the shot at a different station than where the wad is seated - wad shot cup petals catching on and being bent over by the drop tube, resulting in shot on the outside of the wad. Cut one of those tubes to the length you think you need based upon how the shot drop tube that came with the loader worked for you. Its length can be tailored by adding more of the knurled brass washers that go between the upper and lower drop tubes. If the tube is too long, trim it some more and finish the cut end with your metallic cartridge reloading case mouth chamfering/beburring tool. If you don't have one, you can do the inside of the opening with a twist drill bit and the outside by spinning it against a flat file. When the gate stops moving backward j-u-s-t before the loader handle stops moving downward, you have you wad fully seated. When you find the perfect tube length for that recipe, mark it somehow and if you load several recipes, see if you need to make another for each one. I use three loads and needed two tubes for them.

Other than that, just take the time to learn HOW your loader works. Doing so will solve a multitude of problems and save you a lot of frustration.

Ed

3. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I have never loaded on a RCBS Grand. However, I do have one for sale-12 gauge. I acquired it on a trade. The original owner bought it at the 2005 grand in Vandalia and used it very little-he has quit shooting. I do not have the original box but I do have the complete reloader, the instructional movie etc. I would sell for $400.00 plus shipping. I am located in Ohio at 43567. Email above, drop the X's. Thanks, Roger

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Snap that loader up. Good buy on an outstanding loader. I have used them all and use only the Grand for 12 and 20 Gage now. BRGII

5. BustClays

BustClays Member

Roger, you have mail.

Bustclays

6. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hey Joe,
    Things are going great. I finally decided that I could get adjusted to retirement. I still do real estate referrals here in Florida but don't do any contract work. My focus now is on trying to figure out how to be "useful" and contribute to the betterment of my country. I think that I may find the most conservative political candidate that I can find and work like he!! to get them elected. Being a republican makes it very hard to find a good conservative these days. I just love seeing the liberals beating up on both a minority and a female. Who would have thought that they would be the ones that couldn't "just get along" (Rodney King). At least we still have our guns in Florida and we have the right to use them to protect ourselves.

On another note, I have been shooting 28ga lately and have been hitting about 20/25 most of the time. It's a challenge and its cheaper and it makes me a better shooter. Bustem all Joe, say hello to the bunch at Groton for me, I do miss those ole fartz dearly.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.