1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

May I ask a Browning rifle question ? ( A-bolt )

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Chris, I have a 30-06 in Browning A bolt composite stalker. I love it. I found the right ammo for it and it is a real good shooter. Easy to take care of. If you have any more specific questions on the A-bolt just ask or PM.

Bill

2. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I have one in .280 Remington, absolutely great rifle.

3. ABH

ABH Member

I also have an A BOLT. I really like the 60 degree bolt through. The trigger was a little heavy, so I had a gunsmith lighten it up a little. The only thing I don't like about the gun is that you have to put the safety off to load and unload the gun.

ART H.

4. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Have two. First one is a 325wsm for moose, will shoot 1.25in at 200yds handloads. Just picked up a 270 wsm but haven't set it up yet. Sure you will be impressed!!!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I got an A-bolt hunter LH in .300WSM in 2006 and it immediately became my new favorite. Exceptionally good accuracy. My previous taste in big game rifles was the M700 Remington and in my opinion the A-bolt is a better rifle.

So far my A-bolt has accounted for one good bull elk, one great desert sheep, an antelope and three mulie bucks. Zero problems making long range shots in a variety of nasty conditions.

There are many finish options to choose from, I chose the hunter because it had non-glare surfaces (matte blue and dull wood), the Medallion grade is a lot prettier and the stainless/sythetic guns might be better for continual wet weather use.

6. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I have a medallion model in 7mm Mag. Great gun. Also don't really care that you have to take the safety off to load/unload.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They shoot good and carry easy.

8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Mine is the composite stalker in a 338 Win Mag. Best rifle I have ever owned, and I have had more than my share. I have taken one elk and 8 deer with this rifle. I catch alot of flack about using such a big rifle on deer, But I have never had any meat ruined with this thing. I originally got it for going moose hunting. I was told that on deer you can eat to within a half inch of the bullet hole with no bloodshot meat. after 8 deer I beleive that the old timer who told me this actually was not pulling my leg. I have a Nikon Maonarch 3.5-10 scope on it. This is one of if not the most accurite rifles I have ever had.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Can't go wrong.....great rifles any way you cut it.

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My Remington's are slowly going away. I have both A's and an X -bolt and I much prefer the X.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a stainless stalker that is a 270Win....very accurate and very smooth..plus I have always loved the way the mag box clips into the floorplate...very convenient ...you will enjoy it immensely

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a LH 7mm-08,in SS,it's a tack driver, never a problem. You may have to have the safety to unload, but it's only the one in the champber, the bottom metal drops down and you unclip the clip.

13. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am very fond of my X bolt.

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have a 7mm Mag A Bolt. Hunting Elk in Montana there was a lot of snow and very cold weather..My buddies Rugers were freezing up..no problem with A Bolt..............SMOKIT

15. clydep

clydep Member

I agree with what everyone ahead of me said. I have two stainless composit, one in .270 and one in .338, both are excellent performers. The .270 will shoot 3/4" groups at 200 yds. You will not go wrong with an A Bolt. Clydep

16. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

I have two a 270 WSM which is absoulutely fantastic! Love it. Also a 30-06 with a boss. Have taken deer, black bear and a grizzly with it. One very accurate shot and it is all over. 5 shot groups the size of a nickle at 150 yds. 270 has groups the size of a golf ball at 300 yards.

I have a very hard time using my 30-06 as the rest of the family is continually borrowing the gun as it is so accurate. It is usually on a hunt when I go hunting.

Took a mountain Caribou at 417 yds with the 270 WSM with no problem. I would buy either one of them all over again.

Primedust

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You might consider one in 270WSM, you get almost 7mm mag power in a light short action rifle. Only downside is ammo cost but I figure compared to what you spend on a hunt the ammo is a small percentage.

18. saluki68

saluki68 TS Member

Have used an A-bolt in .300 WinMag all over the world for about 25 years and love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.