1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Maximun DR for ATA trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Caribou woodland, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

I got Winchester Spoting shell with 1300 fps and I dont see any dr. on the box
    Code AASC128
    is it legal to soot in ATA REGISTER SOOT
    That is so fast and could I use it for Cap
    Salutations
    Pierre
  2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

No, those velocities are not legal for ATA competitions. 1290 is the max velocity for 1-1/8 ounce loads even if the SC loads are so close @ 1300 FPS, 10 FPS difference?? Should do away with velocity limits OR, the percentages of allowed variances in loads? Doesn't make sense to me but it evidently does/did to those making the rules! Another problem with set velocity standards for ATA competitions; ammo factories make their own rules with stated velocities. That certainly doesn't mean what we think they mean velocity wise either. Factories say the old standard of a 3 DR load of 1200 FPS can vary as much as 90 FPS either way? Where does that leave those SC loads at 1300 FPS or a trap legal load at 1290, are there any variances allowed in those also? Yuppers.

Hap
  3. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

I got Winchester Spoting shell with 1300 fps and I dont see any dr. on the box
    Code AASC128
    is it legal to soot in ATA REGISTER SOOT
    That is so fast and could I use it for Cap
    Salutations
    Pierre
  4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

No, those velocities are not legal for ATA competitions. 1290 is the max velocity for 1-1/8 ounce loads even if the SC loads are so close @ 1300 FPS, 10 FPS difference?? Should do away with velocity limits OR, the percentages of allowed variances in loads? Doesn't make sense to me but it evidently does/did to those making the rules! Another problem with set velocity standards for ATA competitions; ammo factories make their own rules with stated velocities. That certainly doesn't mean what we think they mean velocity wise either. Factories say the old standard of a 3 DR load of 1200 FPS can vary as much as 90 FPS either way? Where does that leave those SC loads at 1300 FPS or a trap legal load at 1290, are there any variances allowed in those also? Yuppers.

Hap
  5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Depends on the payload. Looks like AASC128 is all 1-1/8 oz, so the answer is "No."

Rule XIII, G, 3:

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.
  6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

According to SAAMI a 1250fps shell can go 1340 and still be legal that is +90fps.

GB
    DLS
  7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I might be wrong but when it says max speed on 1 1/8 is 1290 + - 3%. Is'nt 3% of 1290 39 fps/ making 1300 sc load legal? If i'm wrong please correct me so I'll know I can't shoot them.
  8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

targetmaster No. That is NOT what it says.

It says "Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%."

That means you can have as much as 1.159 ounces of shot in a nominal 1-1/8 ounce shell. Or 1.03 ounces for a nominal 1 ounce shell. Or 0.90 ounces for a nominal 7/8 ounce load.

But the maximum velocity of any individual shell in the box cannot exceed 1290 fps (for 1-1/8 ounce shells) etc.

The rules clearly say, "These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge."

And Dr. Longshot is correct, but don't confuse SAAMI tolerances with ATA rules.

What does this mean?

Well, for one, the shells Pierre is asking about would not be permissible for ATA competition.
  9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Ok I understand now, I've never used any 1300 fps shells except in practice but thanks for making it clear!!
  10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Man, I've shot a box of those before, and they will light you up. Stout recoil.
  11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would love to see a shooters score if they shot 100 of these in a competition. I'll bet the flinch would be damn near incurable. LOL.

ss
  12. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

flinch is just a bad habit and I belive it is not cause by the stong shells
    It is just between the ears LOL
    Salutations
    Pierre
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.