1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Maximum drop available on a pad adjuster?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

I have been researching pad adjusters...but can't seem to find one that has a much drop as some I have seen other shooters with.

I have a loong neck and need all the lift at the stock I can get.

Do some of the combinations that are obviously pretty radical, require a Recoil or LOP mechanism? In other words ...must I get a Recoil mechanism or LOP mechanism that is slotted, as well as a pad adjuster that is slotted, to get more than 1"-1 1/2" of lift at the comb/stock.

Thanks..Stan
  2. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

If you use the Gracoil or the SPS Gracoil like pad adjuster, you can drill and tap an additional hole, near the toe, and drop your pad an additional 1.5"

Ed Yanchok
  3. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

The recoil pad adjuster has no bearing on the comb height but does change the drop at the heel. When I drop my pad more than 3/4" I start to feel abnormal recoil because the axis of the bore is too high relative to my shoulder.
  4. StansCustoms

Ed...maybe that's what I've seen done on some guns with a big pad drop..would that possibly allow, 2 1/2" or 3" total pad drop?

Stan..
  5. StansCustoms

Mike ...I'm not talking about the comb by itself. I have to drop the pad to raise the stock...and the barrell, the rib, everything .

The main reason I have to drop the pad is to raise the stock up to some kind of eye level....I have a loong neck.

You are right it doesn't change the comb ..just raises the gun up where I can see the sight plane....without having the bottom corner of the pad toward the top of my shoulder.

Now that does hurt..

Stan...
  6. StansCustoms

Anyone else have a gun with a pad adjuster that will drop the recoil pad more than 1 1/2 "...
  7. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I bought 2 today and the most I could find was 1" other than the Precision Fit Stock......I choked on that price though.
  8. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

If you already have a "100 Straight" style adjuster, you can cut some of the square adjusting washer off, allowing the pad to be lowered about an additional half inch.

Ed Yanchok
  9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Like MikeTMX said, you get to a point where dropping the pad to far acts as a cantilver punching the barrel up into your face. Most long necked shooters are candidates for a higher rib. You can either buy or make an add on rib to solve your problem without raising the butt to high.

Surfer
  10. StansCustoms

10-4 Surfer..

Raising the rib is likely the best way...but along with that an adjustable comb usually follows.

I think I would buy a new gun at that point....if it couldn't be made to shoot with a pad adjuster..

Stan..
  11. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

miketmx said: "When I drop my pad more than 3/4" I start to feel abnormal recoil because the axis of the bore is too high relative to my shoulder."

I totally agree with this statement. I actually used two 1/8" alum plates to fashion one that would give me more drop than the one on my gun. This resulted in a big increase in muzzle rise and painful cheek slap!

I have concluded after a lot of experimentation that the answer for us long neck guys is a higher rib paired with a higher comb.
  12. StansCustoms

10-4 tractorboy..

I'm afraid that's right.....But I did see one with a pad that was way down..

All I need is More $$$....or get my neck shortened..LOL

Stan
  13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Stan,
    You can add the adjustable pad hardeware, make a high rib out of balsa wood painting it black and taping it to your existing rib. The least expensive way to raise the comb with the greatest range is wrappid Comb, about $25.00.

You can play with rib heights by making your own. When you find the optimum rib height, you can make one out of more durable materials or go to ADD-A-Rib or Keen Sites for a professionally made unit, at the same time you can have an adjustable comb installed. Depending which direction you go, all these modifications can be made for $100.00 to $400.00

Just a thought........

Surfer
  14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Some are longer than others, and to get more have the adjusting pad installed lower on the butt of stock, or add a Aluminumlonger plate for lower placement.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.