1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maui vs. Leadville

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CME4DIRT, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CME4DIRT

CME4DIRT TS Member

This is a physics question that came up at our trap club and has probably been addressed here in the past but I can't find the answer in the search section so will throw it out to the experts.
    If an individual uses 8's at Haliimaile being at basically sea level, what shot would you use at Leadville being 10,000 ft. plus, with temperature being the norm for both places and little or no wind for either facility, in other words, perfect shooting days for both places. Thanks, Bill

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The only difference with altitude is atmospheric resistance - isn't gravity constant?! Maybe the better question is a 3 dram load still a 3 dram load at 2 miles up?! Loss of resistance v. combustion?

Jay

3. Mongo-808-

Mongo-808- TS Member

First off Haliimaile is at 2300 ft of elevation. Second the humidity there will make you feel like you were in a sauna. Third the winds. As Bill knows I shoot there ,LOL, & I shoot 7 1/2's at everything.

If I went someplace "high & dry" I'd probably shoot 8's. Maybe even drop down to 1 oz.

Mongo~David

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

The last time I was in Leadville I didn't notice a traphouse. Guess I could've missed it.

hubcap

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO, you can't go wrong with 7 1/2's and a full choke, whatever the conditions.

Gravity (mass attraction) is constant but the greater the distance between the two objects, the less the amount of attraction. Considering the mass of the earth and the mass of one size 7 1/2 or 8 pellet, a distance of 10,000 feet is negligible. In this example, I am using the center of the earth as the center of mass of the earth.

The density of the atmosphere will have an effect, both on the target and on the shot. Is this not the same question as shooting targets in humid Midwest air and dry Western air?

When in doubt, use 7 1/2's.

Maybe somebody can get Dr. Strangelove out of his mineshaft so that he can use his superior knowledge of physics and his circular slide rule to give us a definitive answer.

6. CME4DIRT

CME4DIRT TS Member

Mongo; Just a quick note to say howdy. Be there in Oct. Bill

7. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

What you will note is that the higher the elevation, the tighter the pattern for a given choke constriction.

8. CME4DIRT

CME4DIRT TS Member

So am I correct in saying that if I shoot a full at 3000 ft., I might consider an improved modified? Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.