1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mattarelli versus laporte for skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baber, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baber

Baber TS Member

Steven:

There is a third alternative. NASTA. They are from Finland. There are a number of Olympic bunkers in the country using NASTA Traps such as the Olympic Training Center in Colorado. We have them both in the Skeet houses and our Olympic Bunker in Gainesville Florida. After 5 years we have only replaced a couple of motors a few rails and nothing more. NASA is a good mechanical trap and does not have the electronic boards and micro switches of the LaPortes. We had a set of LePorts that we replaced with NASTA's. The Laportes were a POS in comparisons. Was glad to see them leave.

Tom

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Laportes throw an excellent target with very little work, and are very user friendly for on-the-fly adjustments. Beomats also throw an excellent target, but require more work, and are not user friendly at all when it comes to adjustments. Laportes are what are used at Rochester Brooks and at the National Complex, and both clubs throw the most consistent targets I've ever experienced. I'm not aware of any clubs using Matterellis except maybe Sparta, and they were chosen based on limited time, a good deal from Briley, and a state run bidding process (they would have had Promatics because they were the cheapest until they were told those would not be acceptable). By all accounts, skeet targets @ sparta for the US Open a few years ago were less than spectacular.

Does NASTA make a trap that is acceptable for std non-international dimensioned targets (108mm), or at they designed for a 110mm target and a 108mm target will work? What what I've been told, the primary issue w/ the Matts is that they were designed for an int'l target, and don't put enough spin on a domestic target to properly stabilize its flight. I would suspect NASTAs are the same way unless they have a trap designed to throw american skeet targets at american skeet speeds and trajectories.

If I were equipping a club with traps today, Laporte would be far and away the first choice, Beomat a second, Super Star a distant third (a Beomat knockoff, but they don't throw nearly as good a target), and would probably cannibalize Western traps before I'd choose anything else.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

The bunkers are all NASTA at the OLYMPIC training Center. Been there over 10 years with very little down time or maintenance. Don't know what he skeet machines are. The NASTA skeet traps we have throw an extremely accurate bird. Far better that the LEPORTES they replaced. No problem with the different sized target. We have cranked them up to Olympic speeds with standard targets without major breakage problems.

Tomp

4. Firewater

Firewater Member

What about Pat Traps?

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've shot off the NASTA skeet machines at Gator. Targets right on the money.

RE: What about Pat Traps?

A club I shoot at in Vermont has skeet Pat Trap machines. Never a problem that I've seen. They throw Lawry targets without issues. Winters don't seem to be a problem. Noisy...

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Promatics throw great targets, but need love and attention to keep them in top shape.

Mattarelli machines throw a lot of targets, but as stated, do not throw a great target. They will require electronic parts and circuit boards.

LaPorte machines got a bad rap for reliability.

Pats throw a ton of targets between overhauls, more than a million, but do not put a whole lot of spin on the target.

The club will probably like the Pat. The shooter will likely prefer the Promatic targets.

I don't mind working on any of them, less work on the Pat. Best birds with the Promatic.

"Targets on a wire?" Promatic!

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

The club I belonged to used LaPortes for Skeet and a couple of GMV Superstars for the 2 trap overlay fields. Normal precautions are taken when the fields are closed up (breakers off). We had a lightning strike at the club and it fried the boards on most of the LaPortes including the overlay fields, the two Superstars came thru with no damage. Not impressed with LaPortes.

--- Chip King ---

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

We have Beomats and GMV Superstars... no problems

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

If "targets on a string" are your standard, then LaPorte are not for you. I was responsible for the install of several LaPortes. They do not throw consistant targets. At least the ones I installed. The repair parts are expensive! More so than Promatic. I have seen the pat trap in use at the Silver Dollar and would be my choice, espically if you have Pat Trap, trap machines, as most parts will interchange. Jake

10. N2deep

N2deep Member

Please take this with a grain of salt as I have limited experience maintaining the machines.

We have mattarelli's in our skeet house and older winchesters that we set-up for 5 stand. The Mattarellis are are simple machines to operate and maintain, not a lot of things to go wrong other than the switches. It's sad that Mattarelli-US Supplier has decided not to publish real maintenance information on their machines, all you get is a glorified sales brochure. For that reason alone I would look at other machines.

We are researching new machines for our 5-stand and this is a great discussion,, I'll just listen in..

Best Wishes

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

N2 is right about booklet, but at one time, a DVD was available for the Matt.

Simply looking at the target will be all you need to know. The Pat throws targets with a lot of face, pushing the target to the stake.

The Promatic target is like a well thrown football. The target shows less face and is less affected by wind.

We have two Skeet fields with the Promatic, and 7 with the Matt. No comparison of targets.

I used to service machines at a nearby club that had a Pat Skeet field. Mediocre targets compared to even the Matt.

The Pat is club friendly because of high volume of targets thrown between overhauls.

I prefer Promatic targets over about any other.

I have experience with the Beomat. It is NOT club friendly. If I never see another one, I will not lose any sleep.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

We have 20 Laportes, ten are used regularly.Of the ten ,three are usually down. Constant maintenence after 7 years. Not happy. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
laporte trap parts micro switch
materelli trap repair tips
mattarelli trap repair tips

nasta vs mattarelli

promatic verses laporte
shete mattalrelif work im
skeet machine comparison