1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Math ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I need help with my math, We Just ended our summer trap league and in addition to giving trophies to the winning team we were also going to give one to the high overall shooter or best average for the whole summer. Here is my ? the 2 best shooters did'nt shoot at the same # of targets by 50. For example one guy shot at 200 and the other 150 because of one being absent and having his teammate shoot his score, so If I take the number each one broke and divide it by the number they shot at will that give me the winning avg. even though they shot at different amounts? Not sure how to get the winner here, The exact scores were 114/125 and 161/175 so which one wins? thanks

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well your numbers indicate that one guy shot 125 targets and one guy shot 175 targets. (what was that about 150 vs 200 targets?) But the shooter with 175 targets also has the highest average of 92.0%

But you didn't say what the league rules were, normally there is a minimum # that is considered for the league and low scores get tossed out of the aggregate after the minimum is met. What ever the rules were you need to follow them.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The way you posted them is the way you figure out the average. The " / " means divide. 114 divided by 125 and 161 divided by 175.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are two very different ways to determine the winner and both are mathematically sound. The management needs to make a decision. One way is to base the % on the targets broken against the targets actually shot. This method would result in a higher average for a person who broke 50 out of 50 and did not shoot anymore. He would have a higher average than a person who shot 200 and broke 199.

The second way would be to calculate the % targets broken based on the total possible targets that could have been shot. With this method, the person who scored 50/50 would have a lower average than the shooter who scored 199/200.

A possible analogy could be made with test scores. Assume two students are given a 100 question test. One student only answers 30 questions and answers all 30 of them correctly. The other student answers all 100 questions and gets 95 of them correct. Which student deserves the higher grade?

Pat Ireland

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Pat, the student that answered 95 of them correct should get the higher grade. The test was for 100 questions, not just the 30 that he knew the answer to.

Gne J

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

And they walk among us........

And vote.

And maybe even reload.

Don Verna

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

ok I'm still unsure, Would it be fair to divide broken by shot at and pick the winner that way?

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

"ok I'm still unsure, Would it be fair to divide broken by shot at and pick the winner that way?"

Yes, just to restate in a different way than timb99, because the person who shot 161/175 has the hi-percentage (average) also is HOA.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.