1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Math over the years.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starship, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Fifty Years of Math 1959 - 2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $3.58. The counter girl
    took my $4 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my
    pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3
    pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
    4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

$80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
    and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate
    and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our
    woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of
    this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering
    the question: H ow did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down
    their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's
    ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
    producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Year 2010:

Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's Property, he
    won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says its OK anyway cuz its
    redistributing the wealth, forget about the math.

2. 7771

7771 Active Member

Yeah or they give you the wrong change or none at all then u have to talk them through it... but yes this is all true.
    Tom

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

hiccups?????

Rock

Jim

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Starship I took math in three of those decades and I'll bet you didn't. I never saw a problem even close to that drivel. We had first rate math teachers in Illinois in the 50's 60's and 70's. Todays kids don't have a clue because their parents send them to school to get them out of their hair for 8 hours so they could go to work. If todays parents just send the kids to school that is sad. What one is supposed to do is to send them to school, help them process the information when the kids get home, work with them to make sure they did comprehend it and do it all again tomorrow. Those last two steps are the reason that our children are screwing up their educations. The teachers are doing their part and if you feel they aren't use the option of home schooling to help your kids out. Don't just blindly bitch everyone here will think you are a republican. ;) Dan

ps Did I tell you about the last election?

5. starship

starship TS Member

geez Dahaub, try sleeping on the other side of the bed....

I didn't realize that passing on some tongue-in-cheek fun constituted "blindly bitching."

BTW, I couldn't agree more with your assessment on parents helping kids through school and not just sending them for free babysitting.

I might also add that having done the math thing in the 50's and 60's, then having my kids do it in the 80's and 90's, I'm not all that sure that some of these examples are that far off. Remember the "new math."

Now about that election.....:)

6. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

Everyone quotes it... would some one please tell me what "new math" is? What is old math?

Ibex

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I helped my kids with math till the youngest came home with "set theory".

found out later it was the same thing I did for years mentally ciphering.

I suppose it made them feel good to give it a name.

HM

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I get your humor Jefferson ... and appreciate it.

Glad to say though ( and I am a lifelong student of mathematics) they are still providing sound mathematic educations begining at K and up. I wouldn't say a thing like that if I didn't have a kid in the middle of it right now.

Just a math is a universal language, so is human nature. Not all students learn and take advantage of what is being offered. Not now, not ten, twenty, fifty or 100 years ago. The proof of that can be found on this very site on a daily basis.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Hey Star I do indeed remember New Math. I was in the seventh grade when the new math was introduced in our system at Vandalia, Il. The parents of the 1962 class of seventh graders will tell you all about the new math when they had some tough evenings trying to help those kids do the algebra from the new books. It was tough. I even had help from a grandmother who had been retired from teaching for 14 years back then and she was a great help. "She had no patience with me though." I think so much has been left out of teaching our kids to grow up in school that some of them have no common sense schooling at all. They should have to pass a common sense class before they are put in public as cashiers and wait staff for restaurants. To answer IBEX query of what is New Math it's just the new way of teaching kids algebra when they shouldn't have been taught it for a couple more years. The theory was we "the students who had new math foist on us" would go into high school and tackle algebra, geometry, calculus and physics with ease. That wasn't the case. Trust me we struggled just like all other classes of kids did with those classes. I am very glad I don't have a student who needs help with their math now. However I do have a grandson who is coming up one day :( I'll be really old by then maybe if I slobber at the mouth, shake my head in pattern and fart really loud when he approaches he'll go away and figure it out on his own or let his teacher mother show him:) Dan

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Funny but far from the truth. Math 2009. My son is going into 3rd grade and is going to start Algebra. I didn't start Algebra until 9th grade in the 70's. My son is so far ahead of where I was at his age it isn't even funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.