1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Math on shell speed 1145 vs 1400

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twcpdc, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I have seen some information on here about the speed of shells. I was wondering if practice with 1400 ft per sec will hurt when you then shoot 1145 or 1200. Can buy some 3/4 oz 1400 cheap. Though I might use them for league and practice. So what is the verdict do more harm than good or shoot the cheap practice shells. Thanks Tom

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

To be good at trolling you have to have a better cast than this one!!! Better luck next time. Breake-m all. JEff

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Practice with what you will shoot in competition.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a box and shoot a round of trap. If you like them, then buy them. HMB

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I believe it will hurt your scores. I like a hot/fast shell 1300/1400 and shoot better with them. If I drop back down to 1150/1200 I will drop two to three birds a round. Now from the 16 is a different story as I use 7/8 oz 1200 reloads and a skeet choke and I shoot quick, works for me. Jackie B.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's not a good idea. The absence of pain will be a distraction.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

A better question for the discussion would be whether there is anyone on this forum that can actually point a shotgun so well every time they could tell the 1" difference in lead to adjust for the speed differnces. Speed for target shooters is a joke. 1145-1300 fps makes no difference in perceived lead. Plus slower shells usually always pattern better.

8. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

1145 to 1200 makes no difference that my eye can see or brain worries about. 250 feet per-second sounds like a lot of difference. Some one on here did some math before on something like this I would like to know if someone has the math on this I don't know the time to use to try to figure out how much the shot and target intersection will change. If it doesn't throw off the timing I would buy several flats of these shell 3/4 oz 1400 fps. They should shoot soft and like I said 1.00 box cheaper for practice. If I can see the numbers the math puts on this I hope the brain can work to shootem but whit out the numbers the brain might make unnecessary problems. Tom

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you are thinking about using those promotional dove and quail shells I don't think you'll like them. They are cheap for a reason, some of them have old fashioned hard cards between the shot and powder and the shot is shot. From what I've tried they kicked hard and patterned lousy.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, I believe there is enough difference in the loads to get your brain thinking after you shoot a few rounds with them. Once you do that you will have problems with something in your shooting. Don't mess with these shells. Get some $5 dollar a box Dicks or 5.50 a box walmarts and stop thinking and just shoot. There will be a much harder kick and this alone will be a bad thing after you shoot up your shells to save a few dollars. It will take 3 times longer to go away. Good Luck and Breake-m all. Jeff

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

twcpdc

Recoil reduction when compared to normal target loads, especially one ounce at 1200 fps, isn't really happening. I've shot some 3/4 and 7/8 ounce promotional shells at high velocities. I believe they were both Winchester in a white box. The 3/4 was listed at 1400, if I can remember correctly. They were rather loud and kicked as much as regular target loads. 3/4 ounce at 1400 fps might work for practice, but unless they were REALLY cheap, I'd pass them up. I used a "turkey" choke to get some pattern density, and even that was questionable. My usual chokes didn't do too well either. I guess less shot is just less shot and more velocity and cheap components didn't help much either. I've loaded 7/8 ounce to well over 1300 fps and found that there can be a big difference in wads and patterns. As far as range is concerned, the pellets will eventually slow down to a point where there is very little difference between the 1400 fps and a 1200 fps launch, given the same shot size is used. I would try a box or two an then try to decide if it's worth buying more.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

from the 16.. just about anything will work for me... but once I'm around the 25 yard line or better.. I REQUIRE a faster shell.. It's not the math.. or the recoil... My target breaking sensory computer can not deal with pull..........................................................break... It needs instant gradification.. pull...break.. While I can't see the difference between 1250 and 1350.. I see a huge difference between 1150 and 1250..

13. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

If I am thinking right the target will be 3 inches short with the 1440 fps over the 1200 fps. Any one have a answer. Tom

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

Actually PBB the difference is so slight your brain can't detect it. What makes the 1250 shell seem so much faster is that your brain is in shock for a short period from the HUGE recoil. By the time the brain figures out where it is the shot has reached the target. ;o)

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1145 vel vs 1250 vel

1145 vs 1200 for doves

shell speed time to target