1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Master Stock Fitters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

In your opinion, who are the top 3 stock fitters in the U.S.?

Thank you

2. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Harlan Campbell, Jr. is the best stock fitter I have come across in my 20 years of shooting and the only person in the country I would allow to make a change in my stock.

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Gary,

To the best of my knowledge, Harlan has never won the Grand American Doubles Championship. Nothing against you or Harlan.

5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I just attended Harlan's clinic yesterday and today. He let me try out his K-80 today. The stock was done by Wenigs. Beautiful wood and beautiful gun. The gun fit me perfectly. Harlan told me it would, we are both short and round. He recommended I change the pitch on my stock to something closer to his. Taking his clinic was the best money and time I ever spent! Harlan has an insight to trap shooting that few people can match.

Ed

6. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ed Aubert in Suisun City, California on the west coast, Abe Chaber in Danbury, Connecticut on the east coast and Dennis DeVault in swingin' downtown Canton, Ohio in the middle. None of these three owes me anything, nor I them, but all have worked with me on custom stocking my guns and all are world-class.

Mike Mann

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

There are several.........

Jimmy Cardwell - Wenig's

Bobby Chambers - Wenig's

Dennis DeVault

Jeff Mainland - Kolar

Keith Heeg

Todd Nelson - Country Gentleman

Phil Simms

And probably about 10 others I forgot to mention. There is no wriiten code on stock fitting, and it is not rocket science. There are many great at doing it!

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

...I think there are good stock makers out there that are not necessarily good stock fitters..I would put Wenigs in that category...SMOKIT

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

SMOKIT, I know nothing first hand about Wenig's stock fitting abilities but I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your assessment.

Not only that but a lot shooters themselves having one made wouldn't know if it's a good fit or not in a lot of cases! The only two "FITTING" wood wizards I'm familiar with is Dennis Devault and Phil Simms. Both these guys can fit a stock to anyone, properly, while transferring that fit to the stock!!

Hap

10. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hey Gary,

I misspoke about Harlan as well it was the Class Championship Doubles at the Grand that he won but you are right the gun was a Perazzi MX-3 Special that we built the stock for and also installed a Delrin add-on rib to the barrel to raise the POI. Just had to make that correction and now I will be quiet, have a great week.

Dennis DeVault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.