1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

master eye help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmctaggart, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

want information help on master eye easy steps to check master eye and explanation on tape on glasses and other exercises or drills that help. cant hit what i cant see. thanks robert mctaggart

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Robert, Phil Kiner gives lot of emphasis on eyes and eye exercises. He goes over it in his clinic video and he has has a DVD on eye exercises. If you go to philkiner.com you will see where you can click on his eye video for a sample. He also goes over eye dominance in his training clinic video.

I think he is righ-on as so much of this sport is mental and eyes.

Good shooting!

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Bob, as there are those that have been able to shoot with one eye I'd strongly advise using two eyes. I believe the ability to shoot with two eyes lies in shooting to an area. One must remember that you're dealing with a shot pattern and not one bullet and an 'X' on a paper target. I myself am a right hand shooter with a dominate left eye. For me this came about from playing a lot of baseball and batting from the right side. So, to learn to use both eyes isn't as tough as most think. When you bring your gun up and sight down the rib with your one eye all you have to do is THEN open your other eye and go on to shoot. Since you have first lined up your one eye down the rib, as long as you stay on the comb you KNOW you're lined up. Focus to the end of the barrel to keep from crossing your vision. Or further out. Think of 'shooting' to where you look. Not to where you point. Let your eyes lead,let the gun follow. When both say 'yes', shoot. Works for me. Jim

4. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Robert, You may check your master eye like this. Hold up your finger verticaly and line it up in the corner of a room with both eyes open. Close one eye then the other. The one that is lined up is your master eye.

Tape on your glasses allows you to shoot with both eyes open which lessens eye fatigue. One way to determine where to put the tape is to put your shooting glasses on and look in a mirror. Put a dot on your glasses where the pupil of the eye is with a magic marker or you can have a friend do it.Hope this helps George

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Another easy way to find your dominant eye is to hold both arms far in front of you and make a circle with both index fingers & thumbs, together. (like a little tube or hole)

With both eyes open, look at a specific object, pretty far in the distance. (like a stop sign or steet light)

Slowly bring your hands back KEEPING the object in the fingers/hole.

As you approach your face with your hands, your hands will go to the dominant eye.

As a check, do this a few times.

Then, do it again and try to bring your hands to the OTHER eye - you will lose the object in the field of vision. This verifys the result.

This issue is very complicated. You have to find your solution and that takes time, experimentation and practice. For examaple, some people's dominance is modest and a small piece of scotch tape or electrical tape helps.

Others may need to tape a larger section of the lens.

My left eye is so dominant that if any light is visible, it takes over. My brain tries to help me, and makes my left eye peek under any tape to see what is there.

Remember - this is not an eye issue - it is a brain issue.

Working with Phil Kiner's techniques & videos are a big help. Take his clinic if you get a chance. He has done a lot of research on cross firing as a result of dominant eye issues.

Doing a search on this site for eye dominance or cross firing will give you a lot of posts to read. Not all suggestions are for you; just part of your research.

You will eventually find a solution that is best for you, but be patient.

Good luck. There are many one eyed shooters. Many others are, but won't say.

js in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.