1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MASS STATE SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrs frosty, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrs frosty

mrs frosty TS Member

I just wanted to tell everyone just how bad it was at the mass state shoot this year

the weather is not good and the traps do not work we had shooters backed up 5 sauads deep at one field. the shooters on the line would do a couple of rounds and then someone would have to fix the trap the same shooters would would shoot a couple more rounds and then they would fix it again. at no time did any management come out and say lets move this to the practice trap or put in another trap. no one seemed to care.

some shooters left and went home some just talked there squads into moving in on another field

soon they had 3 or 4 targets coming out at a time and told the shooters to pick one sound like fun you should have been there

2. yahnrobb

yahnrobb TS Member

What club was this?

3. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I think I shot with you in the caps today. Squad 8? The machines were bad. I only shot the caps on sunday, Thank the Lord.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Minuteman SC.....was not a good weekend machine wise, nor weather wise.

5. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Who were the winners??

6. beyyupot

beyyupot Member

What happened wasn't the fault of the club's management. Field # 10 went down when the trap kid used the sump pump cord as a twirling rope and it was sucked into the machine by the throw arm. I was told the electronic board burnt up putting it down for the weekend.

The practice traps were put into service to compensate for it, action was taken, unfortunately it took time to clear the mess.

When you lose one field early, everyone has to work harder. If they had one more Bob Hawks, that club would be better for it, they all worked hard, most volunteers do. I could be wrong, so if someone knows more, lets hear it, Dick Hewett.

7. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

It is my understanding the club went the extra mile and had the traps serviced in anticipation of the event. I thought the targets were terrific. The overcast weather certainly kept them down.

If anything they have the envious position of strong attendance.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The problem is they didn't buy Pat Traps. That was a stupid political move. Pat Traps is an hour away and anything they needed could have been ON HAND IN A COUPLE OF HOURS, IF THEY HAD BOUGHT PAT TRAPS. JRM

9. RAScott

RAScott Member

Look the machines were acting up and that is true. The caretaker was there working none stop,we had a good turn out for the young upcoming shooters of our sport. Unfortunatly the weather sucked, but I think we can all agree that a bad day of shooting trap is better than a good day at work. Bob Hawkes was on the scene things were modified and they did there best to make it work.

I hate to bash a club. I was on some of the fields that had problems. but they made attempts to remidy the situation.

I thought that the target presentation was very good. there were about 5 100 straights on friday ,5 or 6 100 straights early ,2 200 straights on sat. so some people had no problems hitting these targets.

Bob S

10. slick50

slick50 Member

All those problems and you Still won the State team contest. I still can't believe it. Bob congrats to you and Flipper for kicking my ass. LOL

Bill

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

perga1 Just curious Jim you have plenty to say about the machines. Were you there do you know this to be fact. Or are you just stirring the pot.

Bob Lawless

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I was not going to comment to this thread, but there are just too many mis-statements not to.
    Mrs. Cushing, Yes we had problems with the trap your husband caught on bank 4-trap 2. It did not reach a 5 squad back-up and squads were moved when open traps were available. As Dick Hewett has noted we slid all banks East to incorporate the practice trap, there are no more fields to go to as some of the Junior shooters had field 1 all day. It is physically impossible to get 3 or 4 targets out of any machine as you have described. The problem seems to be electrical in the release system which happens on a random basis which makes it difficult to get a fix on. It doesn't helicoptor, but almost.You suggest putting in another trap. We have 12 automatic machines with no spares.

Dick Hewett, Thank you for the kind words. Sometimes I think we were better off with the old WW hand-sets and the kids didn't have time to goof off. The scorers and loaders of today don't have a clue of what the job was like in those days. Every now and then you bump into one of the kids from that era and they've done very well for themselves in life. Army Rangers, Lawyers, Businessmen, interesting what starting with a good work ethic does for them.

perga1, You obviously are a local shooter. Charlie from PAT was at the club Thursday and serviced the 2 PATS that we do have. I realize we didn't make the correct "political" decision in purchasing the Stars 5 years ago. When we received a quote from PAT specifying payment in advance of delivery and no installation we decided to see what else was in the market at that time. Dale gave us competitive pricing with installation and payment when his work was complete. I personally would make the same decision again and am only to happy to discuss it with you. When you are at the club, please introduce yourself and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully, Bob Hawkes

13. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

I had the pleasure of shooting with Bob Hawkes on Sunday in the caps. We both were a little off. I think the effort was there but the overall quality of the Mass State Shoot has gone down. It was the 1st State shoot I ever shot when I started shooting trap(2001). I remember being in awe from the # of fields and they all had voice releases, not all the clubs I shot at had them. I have shot some birds since then and I am sad to say that this shoot is not one of my favorites anymore. The machines and voice release equipment are in need of repair. I also do remember our squad stopped with 2 stations left on our last field because the machine was malfunctioning. I do believe that Mr. Hawkes comment was that he hoped that it could get fixed but don't count on it. I really believe that the effort was there, I just think that the equipment needs a lot of help. I hope that things do improve, I really want to break my 1st 200 there. Al Baker

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot like crap!!! on the secound 100....mainly because of the long long wait to shoot. I must say I did see many people scrambling to keep things going. My squad and the one before me where juggled around to get things going.

I myself so not like the the couple of traps at the opposite end of the club house. They just do not seem to give random shots. station 1 gave me 10 right targets??? I could not stop laughing about it. All in all it was a rough day
    I was penalized to A class as I did not get my targets in

shot 96 then tanked for a 86

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hey Bill, Flipper says "Thanks for the Trophy" it is being engraved as I type!
    he says you'll need more luck in Vt.! Frank C

16. Pete3

Pete3 TS Member

Does any one know how to find out what scores in Sunday's handicap event earned punches?The Vermont State shoot is starting Friday .....some participants may have earned yardage last Sunday.
    Pete Giddings- Canada

17. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

Has anyone seen results yet? The ATA results page has been down for some time.

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Bob, not trying to stir anything. My statement was my observation the first year they had the Stars and there was a lot of trouble with over heated circuit boards, I was there and did experience it myself. As far as I know Pat Traps is still in NH and NH hasn't moved so any need for parts would still be an hour or so away, if they had bought Pat Traps. Jim

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well Jim this is how I see it the people involved did a very good job with what they had to work.

Just for the record there are many here in New England that don't think that Pat Traps are all that good a investment. Now I am speaking for me not MM they can speak for themselves

This is just an observation you understand but for half the year in this part of the country it is colder than it needs to be. Now I am not sure how long Pat traps have been on the market but it has to be at least 10 years. Yet in 10 years they cant stop a Pat from windmilling at start up when the air is a little cold.

In ten years your options on this problem is daily warm ups and if you leave any targets in the machine when you are done with it the club can expect to pay for those without benefit of a paying customer. Any questions to Pat trap about it they tell you to follow the instructions in the manuel.

AS Bob Hawkes said,

"When we received a quote from PAT specifying payment in advance of delivery and no installation we decided to see what else was in the market at that time."

Yet their are no deliveries with out cash on the barrel head no installations. From past experience damn poor service so as far as I am concerned your faith in Pat trap is poor judgment. I say this no matter who likes it.

BTW if you own one or a dozen no discounts!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pete Giddings, 95's and 94's got 1 yard. 93's got a 1/2 yard. Being from Canada you're not going to see your pay-off sheet before you head for Vermont. I have friends and spend time in NB, so I'm familiar with the mail between our Countries. Pony express would beat it most times. Shoot well and enjoy the good food in Vermont this week-end.

Mac1911, You didn't care for the PAT's? They were serviced by PAT Thursday PM before the shoot. Don't tell me the straight aways got you(LOL)It is a long wait between 100's. Thank goodness for the kids helping the attendance.

Perga1-Jim Mendoza, Yes we had problems with the Super Star's 5 years ago when they were brand new. As I explained to you in response to your PM the problem was a US made computer chip that was not manufactured to the specs they were sold for. I'm sure we were not the only ones affected. The head of GMV-US was on site and made the needed repairs at that time. I suspect that you don't even know what a Super Star looks like. You 're comparing a Caddilac to a Chev. We are extremely pleased with the service and help available from Shyda's, QRP, and Dale Stockdale. All great people to deal with. With you living in Florida and not having shot in Mass for 5 years I do not know why you would feel compelled to continue to comment to this thread.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.