1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Masking checkering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I want to re-finish 2 stocks and need to remove the old finishes, sand and refinish. What do you use to protect the checkering? I have seen pictures of blue tape but I am not certain what kind it is.

Will the tape withstand the finish remover or should it be applied after the finish has been removed to protect the checkering during sanding?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Blue tape is painters tape available most everywhere, I put it on 1st that keeps the remover out of the checkering, if it curls or comes loose just replace it.JMO Ross Puls

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I will remove all finish. For the checkering, I use a soft toothbrush and use a circular motion to remove the grime, and finish in the checkering. Then I let it dry and sharpen the points if needed. I then will tape off the checkering using a sharp exacto knife to cut along the border groove. I finish the stock, buff and polish if need, then remove the tape. You will still get some bleeding under the tape, that I clean out with a riffler file. Then I will go over the checkering with a thinned coat of finish using a small artists brush. Wipe off the overun onto the non-checkerd finish area. If you are spraying, I would remove the tape, clean up the edges, and spray the last coat or two with the checkering exposed. This keeps the checkering sealed, while not filling the checkering with finish. Jon

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Be carefull about strippers I've learned a few lessons It is usually best if you can sand off the old finish. Strippers are open to alot of problems. I if there is any old repairs hidden under the finish you will ruin them. I can't tell you how many origional Beretta And Krieghoff stocks have glue work on them from the factory.

Strippers with water as a component or those that require a water rinse can aswell the wood and make reassembly or the use of the top lever difficult.

On to the tape get the green solvent proof tape from 3M you sahould be able to buy it at any NAPA dealer.

For those who enjoy refinishing their own stocks I offer a sanding and checkering repoint service. I will completly sand off all old finish from a butstock and forend for $100 Repointing checkering varies if it's needed it is usually an additional $50-100

Not to mention that sanding is much more environmentaly friendly and you don't have to work with any more caustic chemicals.

Joe

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe, can you give me a price for a high gloss finish on a K-80 new set of wood? Tru-oil is what I would like. Thanks, Mike.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clean and repoint as suggested. Then go down to the local art store and buy some liquid mask. It's a latex product. Put it on with a small brush. To remove, rub it off with your thumb and a wood tooth pick. I use it on my painted stocks all the time. Wife is an artist, she suggested the product.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had my Citori Plus stripped at a local furnature stripping shop and was quite happy with the results. It took a little work with 0000 wool and taping the checkering. I gave it about six coats of oil and 0nly one on the checkering with a tooth brush. I would do it again if necessary or on another gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.