1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Maryland State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, Programs & Results' started by Releigh, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Releigh

Releigh TS Member

Was the Maryland State Shoot successful or not? I was there and my observations were not enough food service, not enough bathrooms, difficult to get from lower grounds to upper grounds, no air conditioning for shooters without trailers. no real place to relax. The trap fields were set up well but there were not enough of them and it took forever to shoot. Staff was great. Some people put a lot of time and money into the grounds and shoot but it still did not make any sense to me as Millington has done a great job and now with Millington having a solar company renting their land there will be trouble and silly human pride screwing up shooting for the trap shooters. Your comments are welcome.
  2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Yes it did take a lot of time to shoot, I got there at 9:00am on Friday after driving 150 miles. At 9:30am my friend and I were on the line shooting the singles event, and by 10:30am our guns were back in my truck. Met some old timers I hadn't seen in years and we finished off the day by pigging out at Cozy's restaurant. Shoot management had told me that by Friday they were up by 3,000 targets over the previous year at Millington.
  3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

What's a Millington? Go Thurmont!!
  4. K80433SC

K80433SC TS Member

Myself, along with others I have spoken with since were all happy with the event, despite the grueling heat we experienced.

The folks at the home grounds in Thurmont are to be commended for their efforts. Alot of sweat and hard work went into getting the facility prepared to host their state championships.

I did not wait in any lines to use the bathrooms. I certainly did not have a problem with getting food. After all - this was a trapshoot ; not a carnival. And on days as hot as we experienced there, there is no clubhouse that can maintain air-conditioned comfort, with all of the traffic in & out all day long. When it is in the upper 90s, it is just plain HOT........no matter where you are. As for places to "relax", I would need to know your definition of that term. Unless I have had my camper at a shoot, I have never experienced a place to "relax" at any club I have ever been to, in 30 years of shooting.

I hope the shoot stays at the home grounds forever. I never did like Millington. There is so much history at Thurmont, and I am certain the facility will improve beyond what the staff was able to provide in their first year.

I have to agree with the "dog" on this one. GO THURMONT !
  5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Releigh,

Are you a Maryland resident?

Guy Babin
  6. DONNE

DONNE Member

I checked the figures right after the shoot. They were up 162 or 164 shooters over last year. BUT , I was reminded by some that it may have been up just because some people showed up for the novelty of shooting at thurmont again. Only time will tell. I did see a lot of faces that I didn't see at Millington over the last few years.

On another note. The winning scores for ALL the championship events were the LOWEST since the last time the event was held at thurmont. You can draw your own conclusions from that. It appears that they also pi$$ed off some neighbors too , hence the visit by the Sheriffs office on Saturday morning.

As far as the solar panels at Millington are concerned. My understanding is that it is not a done deal , and if it does happen it will not effect shooting there. Rumor has it there may be another opportunity in the works too.

PS , dawg , I'd worry about getting your pennsylvania home grounds house in order before you start trashing Millington!!
  7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Sorry DONNE, I'd consider Millington much more a novelty than Thurmont. Over 30 extra squads at any shoot is far from a novelty, especially when Ohio ran the same week. Thurmont is rich in Trapshooting history while Millington is noted for poor visibility.

Maybe a visit from the Sheriffs' office was simply an "oh wow"!!
  8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Why in the world would someone complain when they have a trap club right across the street from them????? If it were a issue(gunshots/noise)with an individual...... then why would they build their residents there???? Personally,I thought they built their home there to take advantage of a great shooting facility...........still laughing about that one....Idiots

D.P.Reynolds
  9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Well Mr. Reynolds, how about some jackass moving near a gun club then starts hearing reports. I'll never forget an incident in Collegeville, Pa. about 6-7 years ago, a township cop come driving up the driveway, goes in the club house and tells shoot management they got a report of gun fire by a neighbor. The cop must have been a new guy, but shoot management told him they have been hearing it too since 1957.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.