1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland State Shoot returns to Thurmont in 2012

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Griff, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griff

Griff TS Member

Just got in the mail today a letter from MSSA president saying that the Maryland State shoots will be held in Thurmont starting in 2012.
    Griff

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

When your at Thurmont, don't forget to eat at Cozy's restaurant. I guess the MTA finally figured out they can draw a much bigger crowd of trapshooters then they ever could at Millington. Maybe the Westy Hogans might rotate there also.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

Gary, what ever happened to the old club house? It was not very big but you could still order food and eat sittting down with your friends.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from gary but the thurmont clubhouse is still standing and it is/was being refurnished by the time the state shoot gets back there. They are buying lots and lots of new pat traps and building a new classification/payment area. This is what I have heard from some club presidents in the area. They are already fixing up the the traps and are starting a league up in january. I myself just got into the sport 2 years ago and am truely looking forward for the shoot to come back to thurmont. I will be able to shoot much more of it at thurmont that I can at millington. Just my two cents.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If thats the case then I doubt I'll be attending any of my state shoots after 2011...Millington has always put forth a top notch shoot and the facilities put Thurmont to shame...thats ok..I doubt they'll miss me too

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I thought the MD State Shoot was going to be held over the traps the MSSA owns at Thurmont. Not at the old Thurmont Club. The metal target barn will be use for the main entry building. So I've heard.

7. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Why pour money into a place when Millington was doing just fine?

Wonder if the campgrounds turn into an impromptu tractor/mud pull event again.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just gotta do something with a White Elephant!!

Curt

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have shot at Thurmont before and it was a nice place. Its easier for me to get to them Millington. Glad its going back there.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Best background, nicest targets, plenty of restaurants and motels close by. Let's not forget memories of the outstanding shootoffs between top shooters like Little and Ohye. So long Millington, welcome back Thurmont!!

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That's good news for me, too, if I ever get back into registered shooting. Getting to and from Millington (the one time I ventured there) from southcentral Pennsylvania is an exercise in frustration while Thurmont is a pleasant 60 mile drive down US15. I always liked Thurmont in spite of its well-worn facilties and water encroachment problems. Better pit beef sandwiches and pit-roasted chicken cannot be found!

Ed

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I live close by and shoot at Thurmont on Tuesday evenings, when possible. Jamie Palmasino is doing a great job, chairing the trap committee and under his leadership, they have erected/replaced two trap houses and installed new Pat Trap machines. The Thurmont clubhouse has a good kitchen and newly remodeled/expanded bathrooms.

Meanwhile, there's a lot of digging/building/planning going on at the MD State grounds that join the Thurmont club, to the North. Until the state assn. gets their building(s) erected, rumor has it that the "tool" shed will be used for classification & such. When the total plan is revealed and completed, surely Thurmont's excellent facilities can continue to be offered and utilized, much like the co-operation between PSSA and Valley Gun Club at Elysburg. During shoots & events, I'm sure Thurmont's practice trap(s) and kitchen facilities would be used to good benefit of both organizations, and shooters as well.

The area has so much to give, with numerous camping and hotel opportunities offering family oriented venues associated with the Gettysburg National Battlefield park, just a few miles away, not to mention the many great places to eat. Also, the local infrastructure has vastly improved since Thurmont's heyday, in the "old" days, with the addition of good highways (US 15 & I-70/270) N,E,S,& W, plus 2 International airports nearby, and newly expanded air facilities at Harrisburg and Hagerstown.

Let's hope the folks doing the planning can cooperate and make it work; but we need to understand that the Thurmont club is very successful, and financially stable, supporting a large Cowboy action program, among others, which is to say, to this observer, at least, that they do not need to depend upon the MD State Trap Association for future success.

Bottom line: we, the trap shooting fraternety, benefit in the end, and I wish both groups all the best....mike

13. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Well put Mike! Thurmont seems to one of the few clubs that is heading in the right direction. If the trapshooting community had more people like Jamie putting out the effort, maybe we could get the attendance at the shoots back to the days of old. Phil

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you go to Thurmont, don't let some local shooters convince you that you can just ignore the signs and just drive into Camp David and tour the facility. Trust me, I tried it and was introduced to some polite, but stern military guards, and they had guns.

Pat Ireland

15. CalvinMD

Not that it means anything to anybody else,..but Thurmont is thee most disabled unfriendly places to shoot anywhere..and once it rains forget it!

16. TOOLMAKER 251

But, it will still draw many more state shooters then Millington did.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

CalvinMD- Is rain really a problem at Thurmont. I only remember seeing campers floating down the flooded creek one time. I think only 20 or so were washed away.

Pat Ireland

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Did Millington sale or do they think it will and thus the reason for the move?

19. TjayE

TjayE Member

Martin, I think you hit the nail on the head.

20. CalvinMD

Yes Pat..a few good thunderstorms turn Thurmont into a mud pit..and for people with disablities, trying to get around without serious injury is nearly impossible..plus tons of steep hills and steps with not a ramp in sight..makes it a very unforgiving place to shoot..Millington is better hands down regardless of how far you got to drive to get there..as far as vendors..first choice of prime spots ought to go to the businesses who faithfully showed up on the shore...the ones who wouldn't go to Millington should be given the leftovers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.