1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland institutes a tax on rain....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 8 Straight, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Maryland continues its slide into madness, as evidenced by the "tax on rain" instituted recently. Read the article. More libtard nany state crap.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I seems we will never have to worry about it in Texas, I think somebody turned off the tap

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

“through satellite surveillance of your property,” the statement claims."

Our government at its finest!!! And we elect those people.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

GAY

This is just as stupid as the smoke tax and soda tax.

How can this be legal? How can a Satelite determine how much actual rain went onto your property? This is going to be blown out of the water so fast.

Another poster was right by saying "and people elect these guys".

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think how they will use the satellites is to determine the sq footage of concrete they have and tax that, which is still stupid

Our county and I guess the Feds look at our farm all the time to make sure that we are going something related to agriculture so they can't take the ag exemption away

FSA office does it to determine how many acres of what we have planted

Big Brother watching every move you make

Guess it cost Hank Kimbel his job LOL

6. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Cities in SE WI now have a water run-off fee added to our water bills.

Joe

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The reason we keep getting these idiots and idiot legislation is that the people that vote them own nothing that hasn't been given to them. Every one of these types of legislation have been enacted with the support of people living and voting in large population centers ie Baltimore and it's surrounding city sprawl. It is another case of "let's stick it to them that have." Enough said, until "them" get really pi**ed. Then watch out.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It will never happen here in Md,...the "haves" are mostly liberal and have been thoroughly brainwashed that they are bad people who owe the takers

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My town has had that tax for several years now.

The purpose of the tax is to pay for storm water retention basins and filtration traps. Plus pay for the upkeep of the filtration traps.

Two things brought this about....

First, water quality. You rural folks who have born a lot of the brunt about restrictions on logging, farming, wetlands, stream habitats for fish, etc., have long said that those in urban and semi-urban areas need to be held to the same standards.

Well, that's happening. The small streams and creeks in the local area have salmon and other fish in them, so the water needs to be clean. This is why many of the small catch basins have filtration in them. This captures debris and some contaminants like motor oil. And yeah, there is a lot of motor oil from leaking cars from driveways and commercial parkings lots, and especially malls.

Second, as more and more impermeable structures are made (mainly roofs and pavement), the runoff water volume increases faster and peaks faster. This cause flooding, and there are several creeks that have been major problems for decades here. The larger retention ponds are designed to temporarily store the water, then release it at a more controlled rate.

How do you pay for this?

First, much of it is borne by developers, who have to add water retention and filtration to new subdivisions and commercial properties. The new owners bear the installation costs.

But that does not pay for purchasing land in already developed areas, or installing basins and filtration during road upgrades.

So someone has to pay the taxes for this.

How do you fairly pay such taxes? In my town, they charge a fee (stealth for tax) by how many square feet of impermeable surface area you have. This generally means your roof and driveway. IIRC this is simply averaged for home owners. Commercial properties are taxed by actual measurement, and it can really add up. I had heard that commercial properties can cut their bill here if they agree to host and fund retention ponds and filtration.

Some civic minded home owners are going further and are installing their own catch basins under programs to disconnect downspouts. The downspouts then run into these mini ponds. I've seen some landscape features that include these that are very nicely done, and few suspect its real use. We're planning on doing this ourselves for some of our downspouts, but that's a future project.

The reason I got long winded here is that the "rain tax" may not be as bad as it sounds if it is being used for a legitimate purpose and is not some scam to merely generate "revenue" to be diverted to pork projects. There is a need for it here, and the small amount we are being charged is fair.

10. alf174

alf174 Member

Do we really expect those elected idiots to use taxes for what they are collected for?

11. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

So if i remove my roof I will have less liability in this new tax(yeah I live in Md.)?I already drive to Virginia for my cigarettes at about thirty dollars a carton cheaper,Md. only allows me to legally "import"two packs with a per pack fine after that(definitely more expensive than a pack)but eff them.Too bad I can't afford to move.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

But IF you were to COLLECT the rain that runs off your roof in barrels to use in your garden to raise veggies (that aren't inspected by the govt. and deemed safe for your consumption ) they will fine you for stealing the kings water....

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have it added to our water bill, based on how much hard surface you have.

Listed as "storm water charge". About 7 bucks a month for me.

HM

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

BLUE HELL NANNY HELL!

15. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

O"malley has even proposed a reduction of the state tax on gas to be replaced by a flat sales tax,surprise it would raise prices.Maryland will do anything to get more money.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The guv's favorite movie HAS to be "Popeye", and his favorite character was "The Tax Man".

Bob Falfa

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

This "tax everything" mentality isn't at all new. If you get a chance listen to the Beatles' Taxman (cir. 1966) on the Revolver album. George Harrison wrote the song after experiencing the British taxing everything. He writes about taxing the air. Any way to steal your money and do it legally. Ever heard of taxation, without representation? I believe we had a revolution about that issue. Also, the original Tea Party, that was about taxes. Even New York State is advertising as being tax friendly to the middle class but don't be too successful or you'll see what oppressive taxes as like. You people who live in Maryland have my sympathy or if you vote for the liberals, you really bring it on yourselves. BT100dc

18. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The problem with Maryland is the tail wags the dog. Both the House of Delegates and and, since 1972 the Senate, are based on population. That means that 4 liberal counties and Baltimore City can pass anything they want the rest of the state be damned. Other than those 5 jurisdictions most of Maryland is conservative but suffers from the tyranny of the leftists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.