1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marv Underwood passes away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ounce-n-3/8s, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I regret to make everyone aware, but Marv Underwood, one of the finest people to pick up a shotgun, passed away last night at Harbor View. I have shot with Marv my entire life. He was a fierce competitor whether it be on the trap line or on the sporting clay course. Marv was the kind of guy that was always in a good mood......always. He was one of the best embassadors the sport could have hoped for. Not only did he have the smoothest gun mount and move to a target I have ever seen, he was the smoothest guy I had ever met. I once saw him deliver the most polite butt-chewing to a middle aged trap kid that I have ever seen. It was at a State Sporting Clays Championship and the individual didn't quite understand the level of competiton this shoot brought and was needling Marv while he was shooting. Marv dressed down this individual so smoothly and so soft spokenly, that the guy understood he had messed up, but actually looked like he felt good about the ass-chewing he had just received.........I learned a lot from him that very moment.

Marv will be sorely missed. He was what I considered to be one of the close ones who helped raise me on and off of the shooting line.

As Marv was one of the jolliest people I knew, he would rather us tell some stories about him than blubber about our loss. So I'll start the chain. If anyone has anything to comment please do so.......this guy was the best and deserves it!!!!

many memories come to mind when I think of Marv, this is just one of them (I'll with-hold from the good ones becuase children read these forums). :)

One time Marv and I traveled together to the Zone 7 or U.S. Open Sporting Clays event in Reno (back in the early 1990's). I shot very well the first and second day of the event. Being used to trapshooting, I figured "man, I just paid for my whole shoot, hotel, weekend...everything". So as any young dumb 21 year old would do, I spent most of the cash I had in my pocket. Now remember, I was raised around you trapshooters.....what do you guys always preach?....ONLY SPEND CASH! NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD. So I had no credit card because I was taught they were evil. Come to find out, sporting clays doesn't pay worth crap.....here I am standing at the air port, haven't ate for a day and a 1/2 and too proud to ask Marv for any money. Somehow he knew what was up and with out saying a word, came walking up and handed me a nasty airport hot-dog, a coke and a $100.00 bill. All he said was something about I had too much pride, not to count my chickens before they hatched and that I could pay him back after we got home. He could have had a good time with it and harrassed me with the guys back home but he never did....in fact he never brought it up. Like I said, he was smooth, he once again soft spokenly taught me a life lesson. He was the George Straight of Trapshooting....he was a true gentleman.

Marve I love ya. We'll see you again.

Hang in there Steve Simon. :-(

Your Pal,
    Shane Loper
  2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Hey, Shane...we are sorry for the loss of your friend. I enjoyed the stories. He will live on through his influences on you and others.
  3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. He sure sounds like he was a good man.
    Take care,
    Steve Balistreri
  4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    What a good send off. Only a true friend could have wrote that about a wonderful person. My condolences to all involved.
  5. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Haven't shot with Marv for 20 years but will never forget him. Used to see him and BJ at all the shoots. You will be missed Marv.

dave thacker
  6. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Marv was someone we all wanted to be around. he was always smiling, if he was winning or losing. You will be missed my friend! Rest in peace>>>

Bill Roberts
  7. TC

TC TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shane: My condolences on the loss of your friend. Tony
  8. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Pasco WA
    Always will remember Smilin Marv. He didn't bother to change choke tubes. Marv carried an extra Remington 1100 barrel around the sporting course and when needed would change barrels. RIP. John Wilgus
  9. Janet

Janet TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Sympathy to family and friends of Marv Underwood. He sounds like a great guy,
    didn't have opportunity to meet him, but sounds like a great shooter and friend.

Janet - Ohio
  10. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Washington State
    I was truly honored to have shot with Marv at one of Shane's sporting events last year.

On the first post of the shoot he had some problems with his 1100 and had to borrow another 1100 from another squad mate to finish the shoot. He shot the borrowed gun just as well as his own and finished out very strongly!
    Through the years associated with Marv he helped me with a couple of issues I had with an 1100 I was shooting, he was a true 1100 guru!

Marv will truly be missed by all he touched with his warm smile and kind words!

May God bless Marv's family and friends in this time of his loss.

Chuck Harrington
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.