1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Martin's Discpntinue $upport (?)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Martin

Just a rumor with no confirmation. Tthe Martin's, dissatisfied with how their money ($350k)was distributed at the Grand, will no longer be donating to the ATA. I hope this is incorrect and will take the beating I've got comming for writing this thread. Mike

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Kinda reminds me of the old "golden goose" fable...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you have to start a thread with "just a rumor", don't Freak'n start the darn thing. Come on.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt, Surely you jest ..? You can beat a dead horse and it still ain't going to run ... The Martins are very to overly generous people who attempted to put the capitol "G" back in the grand, it doesn't appear to of worked ... The monies they donated to the ATA will pay for some hell of a parties back in Vernal, Utah ... The place will be infested with the Big Dogs, thats for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. K80

K80 TS Member

At last years GA either before or just after the 100,000 shoot-off, they announced that the Martins again have decided to donate for this year, and the Martin family were present up on the podium when this was said. Did anything like this take place this year? Were the Martins at this years GA?

Could be a tell tale sign.

K80

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Why would anyone think that they are obligated to keep donating money? Its their money their decision. The trapshooting community has been very fortunate for what they already have given. And if they want to discontinue their gift why should they even have to state a reason.

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I have worked with non-profits, like the ATA for years.

This martin involvement is like a "grant" in many other settings. A donor gives seed money for a short time and the organization develops ways to sustain it after the donor choses not to continue the donation. This didn't, and maybe couldn't happen in this case. I don't know why it didn't happen.

And, just as with small local clubs boards and presidents, some in the ATA leadership may have been comfortable with donations that come with a lot conditions.

That is their right, I guess, but it is a rare donor these days that simply writes a check and says "Do with this whatever you want, and I will give again next year".

Just not the way it works in todays world.

8. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly TS Member

The martin's have helped our club in Tucson and for that I thank them.
    Nothing is stopping you guys from busting out your checkbook !

9. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Martins "gift" was a large chunk of cash. But is was a gift, donated for a cause, probably not meant to be every year welfare check. What they did was unpresedented and amazing. Anyone else gonna follow their lead? I understand that they were very supportive and generous to Tucson with a large sum of money, great gift and thanks to the Martins. We hope to shoot there this spring. We live in a large generous country, anyone else want to follow an Impressive lead?
    DDF

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The Martins and the Hunters set an example that not many who have that kind of money will follow.

11. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Exactly, Scott, it was a gift, not an endowment meant for life. They have helped a lot of clubs other than Tucson, also, as have the Hunters.

Now, everyone should follow their lead, to the extent that we can, whether that is voluteering services at your club, or writing a check. It all helps.

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the Martins, with their generosity toward the ATA, have caused some to expect the givers to keep on giving. Some welfare recipients expect the same - the something for nothing attitude.

I applaud the Martins and others for their gifts!! THANKS FOLKS --

It will be interesting to see how many others will step up to the "donation plate""...............merlyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.