1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

truly sad ..especially in light of how messed up things are with Marlins since Remington took over

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Another win for organized labor- they ran another gun manufacturer out of buisness.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I just did a Google on MARLIN FIREARMS CLOSING DOORS and what I found out was that they are closing their doors but only for a short time. They are relocating to another place. They are not going out of business. They are still going to be making firearms for the years to come.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

They may be making them but they won't be selling very many based on the dog crap they have turned out recently.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I am a Marlin owner and have come to appreciate the quality in their lever guns made during the 1960's. I once sent an older 336 back to Marlin for re-bluing, refinishing of the stock and installing new sights. The work was beautifully done for around $200.

It saddens me to hear that Marlin quality has been diminished with their move to a new location and, I conjecture, hiring new employees.

Gun making on a large scale may not be a labor of love but you do need experienced and conscientious workers. The replacement workers may come up to the skill level of the replaced workers over time but there will probably be IMO a significant learning curve.

Does not the same scenario play out for senior automotive workers pensioned off or laid off and replaced with $15 per hour new hires? Doesn't having workers with years of experience count for something when it comes to quality manufacturing?

I have not seen a newly made Marlin firearm but if they are truly lesser in quality, what has happened to Marlin's quality control and inspection system? Did their quality assurance and control manager come from Microsoft?

Ed Ward

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It looks to me like unions are being blamed for Cerberus company greed. They have sucked the blood out of Remington to a high degree, becoming more of an import company than manufacturing. In Marlin's case I would hazard a guess that the poor quality lately has been due to Management demanding less production cost with the ultimate result being a defunct marque and the money boyz moving on for othere conquests.

Relocating to redneck country has been tried by several companies in our area, usually with poor results. Not to slam NC folks here but I believe there may be a labor pool of lower talent in the area.

From another forum, posted by a Marlin worker:

"marlin has no union..the product line is being moved to illion NY & kentucky the quality problem that was spoke of before is because the remington management team made marlin cut half the employees and switch to cell style work.to them all about numbers..the workers hit those numbers and still wasnt enough..remington is mearly penned above marlin they do not own them..ceribus owns them..the switch to these states was to cut labor rates in half..remington cut a deal with the mohawk valley in ny and took money to make more jobs from the state of Ny.look for remington to reverse engineer and cut corners to make the marlin product..very sad"

Someone needs to dynamite the Harvard Business School.

HM

7. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

What have you got to say now Gn7777777???
    Regards from Connecticut... breakemall MAL-53

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can anyone cite specifics of "poor quality" of recent Marlins? I keep seeing this mentioned without any substantiation. No saying it isn't true, but just that details are sorely lacking.

9. porky

porky TS Member

Just because Cerberus cuts corners and takes quality out of the product, a union cannot prevent that. Cerberus has total control of the quality of the product. Unions cannot control that.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Brian ..go to Marlinowners.com and go to the rant forum...lots of ugly pictures to go with experiences of slow, poor service. Seen a particular gun at BassPro..had mixed model barrels/receiver that had extra useless dovetail..and the barrel droop was horrific..it is a very real situation with more than a few of my friends getting some very poorly made guns.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

wow gene, used to read what you had to say, guess that all changes now. mark crist