1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin X7S--info wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Won this stainless-barrel, scoped 30-06 rifle last night at a NWTF dinner. My son is wanting a new deer rifle, so I'll give it to him if it's a keeper. Anyone know anything about them?

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Since the price is $0, it is probably a keeper. As it is a quality made rifle in 30-06, it should do very nicely in the field.

As memory serves, Marlin attempted to enter the high power bolt gun market about 10-15 or so years ago. The American Rifleman ran a feature article on the new Marlin "7" and gave it favorable ratings. It was available in several long action calibers including the .270 and 30-06.

It combined many features of the current popular bolt guns and was well made. I was tempted to buy one when they first came out. It had a smooth action and decent wood.

I think that it was drilled and tapped for common scope mounts. Leupold offered one and two piece bases for the Marlin 7 series rifles.

Note:

I just visited the Marlin web site and updated my comments. It looks like Marlin has reintroduced the Model 7. My comments above were based on a circa 2000 rifle.

You can visit the web site and get more information. I have not handled a recently manufactured Model 7.

Ed Ward

3. The Literalist

TTT Anyone else else know something about these?

4. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I have the .308, most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch. It is light so recoil is stout but after awhile no problem. I put the Redfield 2 x 7 on it, and shoot 165 Speer with BLC-2 and it shoots lights out. Light barrel so 3 shot strings then cool it down as mine throws the 4 and 5th shot about 2" high and right. Just my 2 cents worth.

5. drejw2

drejw2 Member

I have the marlin X7 in 30-06 and laminate wood. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9-40 on it and from the first box of walmart remington 165 grains I hit a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards. I love it, people at region couldn't beleive the finishing and the accuracy at this price. It out performed the $1500 guns out there from the box.
    It is a keeper, and you will not regret it. BTW if you don't want it I'll take it. I'll put the stainless barrel on the laminate stock.

6. The Literalist

Thanks for the info, fellas. I picked the gun up from the dealer this morning. Sounds like it will make my son a good deer gun.

Much appreciated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.