1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin slide action hammer shotgun value?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Steve W, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Does anyone can help me with the value of this type of Marlin shotgun? It's marked 2-G on the top tang, plain barrel, straight grip stock.

I like these old steel & wood instruments, all machined parts, complicated design. Not intended to shoot it though.

Any advises would be appreciated.

stevew_2008_030349.jpg

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Great guns but not much value. They don't have a very good rep because if the bolt fails it's going to come straight back in your face.

An 80%+ one of these is lucky to bring $200 or about half of what a '97 in the same condition will fetch.

Look on the side and see if it is a model '17,'19,or a '21.

ss

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

Thank you for your advise, I read about the Marlin service bulletin from '98, advising against shooting these guns, I'm not going to try, I have no reason to.

I thought I checked everywhere, didn't see any model numbers, where on the side it suppose to be?

Thank you again.

4. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The link above has some information.

1905 GAH

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1905/VOL_45_NO_17/SL4517025.pdf

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1905/VOL_45_NO_17/SL4517029.pdf

Fred. Stone, the celebrated actor and originator of the "Scare Crow" in the
    "Wizard of Oz," enjoyed the shoot. He offered a handsome silver cup for the best professional score in the G. A. H., and W. C. Hearne, of Marlin’s, won it on 97.
    He used a Marlin gun, 25 Infallible, 1 1/4 oz. No. 7 1/2 shot.
    (Exposed hammer Model 1898)

July 10 1909
    At the Missouri State shoot, June 12 and 13, Mr. O.N. Ford won high amateur average and established a new World’s Record by breaking 446 out of the 450 birds on the program. The most remarkable feature in this superb score is that during this two day tournament Mr. Ford broke the world’s record for a straight run by an amateur and established a new world’s record by breaking 343 straight. Mr. Ford used a Marlin trap gun. (likely the Model 21 Trap Gun introduced in 1907 or Model 24 introduced in 1908)

At St. Louis, Mo., June 5, O. N. Ford, of Central City, Ia., with the Marlin trap gun, broke 197 out of the program of 200, and on June 6 he broke 196 out of the 200, making his total 393 out of 400 high amateur average for the shoot. This excellent score included a run of 132 straight and was one of tie best amateur scores made so far this year.

1911 Model 24

389576710.jpg

Marlin Trap Gun
    3-1-13 Model 28

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1913/VOL_60_NO_26/SL6026019.PDF

The Marlin Firearms Company, of New Haven, Conn., has completed its line of 12-gauge hammerless repeating shotguns by bringing out in addition to the standard Grade "A" gun, the new Grades B, C and D, for general shooting and the No. 28T and No. 28T.S., these latter made especially for trap shooting, the two trap guns being advertised in this issue. These guns possess all the good shooting qualities of the Marlin guns that won the high average on combined single and double targets at the Westy Hogans in the hands of A. L Chamberlain, and with which Billy Hoon won the Western Independent Handicap and the G. A. H. Preliminary.

The guns are attractive in appearance, the standard trap gun having raised, matted rib barrel and the trap special regular matted barrel, both having straight grip trap stock with large broad butt.

Mark Arie did pretty well with his

The Sunny South Handicap under the auspices of the Houston Gun Club, from January 26 – 31 1914. The leader over all shots was Mark Arie, of Thomasboro, Ills., an
    amateur, who cracked 1140 out of 1205 targets. Mark Arie won the Classic Sunny South Handicap, breaking 94 x 100, from 22 yards.
    The Houston Post Trophy for the Amateur Team Championship, was won by Mark Arie and Bart Lewis, of Auburn, Ill. This pair broke 49 x 50.

At the Sunny South Handicap, the big six-day shoot at Houston, Tex. , Mark Arie, of Thomasboro, Ills., gave another splendid exhibition of his superior trap shooting ability by winning the high amateur average for all targets thrown and also the Sunny South Handicap, premier event of the week. In winning the big handicap event, Arie broke 94 out of a possible 100 targets, although handicapped by shooting from the extreme distance 22 yards. He also made high score over all 1140x1205 94.6 per cent. He was using a brand new, specially built, Marlin hammerless trap gun, D grade (Model 28), which he had never given a real tryout until he started shooting at Houston.

Arie made the remarkably high average of 96.17 per cent, on all his registered 16-yard targets for 1913, breaking 1587x1650. Selecting a new gun, for 1914, Arie decided that the Marlin hammerless trap gun was the best gun with which to endeavor to better his remarkably high average of 1913.

He used his Marlin Model Model 28 (introduced in 1913) in the Olympic games. The gun and Olympic medals are shown on p. 396 in "Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them" by William S. Brophy but is mislabeled as a Model 43 which was not introduced until 1922.

Arie made about $150,000 with his Marlin.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Steve,

I just looked at the picture again and the one pictured is a early model before the plunger was installed.

I'm not literate enough about the model particulars to know which model it is, but it is a pre model 19 for sure.

ss

6. mperkins

mperkins TS Member

0   0   0

If your gun has a pinch release mag tube and a PG stock it is most likely a 24G, the hang fire release was moved to the trigger gaurd on this variation.

7. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

0   0   0

I inherited a similar gun from my great uncle. It's marked "National Fire Arms Company" in 12 ga. Same as the Marlin 1898 I believe. It was in pieces in a box in his attic. I assembled it, but never quite got it functioning correctly. Have no plans to shoot it, but it's a nice looking shotgun.

8. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

0   0   0

It is missing the butt stock. If anyone has an extra one, please let me know. I found a marlin rifle stock that I was going to machine to work. Pretty close, but not right.

9. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Shane: Marlin made the Model 16 marked 'National Fire Arms Co' for H & D Folsom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1914 marlin 12 gage shot gun worth

marlin model 43 for sale
marlin slide action shotgun
marlin trap gun