1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

marlin rifle blowup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by motordoctor, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

This was sent to me by a friend out west.
    The photos tell a sad tale of the loss of a fine firearm and two fingers, plus other minor injuries, due to a bad handload but mostly due to inattention. This is what can happen when a fired round does not clear the barrel and the shooter fires another. Most likely no or too little powder was put in the case while reloading the round. The primer alone could have dislodged the bullet from the case and moved it into the barrel. The empty case would eject normally. Another round was levered in and fired = one bomb. The lesson: never ignore a weak report.
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view&current=Marlinblowup3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view&current=Marlinblowup1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view&current=Marlinblowup2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Interesting Motordoc

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Could also be another Elmer Keith wannabe loading way over the suggested/maximum loads. Looks like either a 444/45-70 with some truly heavy bullets. One of those stuck in the barrel is more than an obstruction, it is disaster. I guess that is redundant.

The Marlin is strong but not indestructable.

If one round doesn't go BANG, regardless of what kind of gun it is, check the bore before you shoot the next one.

Had a cop one time who "reloaded". During qualifying he managed to put three slugs into the barrel of his Model 10 (long time ago). No powder in any of them and luckily the third one tied up the cylinder. When I finally got it apart, and shot the next one up, it went bang. He was lucky. Stupid but lucky.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey timber....just right click on each picture and then click on 'save picture as'!

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

That hurts just looking at the pctures..

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

was he reloading AA Hulls? sorry I just had to do it.

That was some blow up. I had one of the Marlin 336's in 45-70 was a good shooter but would punish you, hate to think what that one was like.

Rick

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'm really amazed that the fellas who have their rifles or shotguns blow up on them aren't seriously injured. I can understand that the loss of two fingers is a bad deal but at least the guy can see and function again, Dan

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Probably useing data from TS.com.................Roger

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I first started reloading metallic cartridges it was for a Marlin 336 RC in .35 Remington. I used the Speer # 13 manual as a guide and selected the "beginner" load of 34 grains of IMR 4895 and not the "maximum" load of 38 grains for a 200 grain bullet.

Cartridges for a tubular magazine rifle have to be crimped which I failed to do properly. As a result, cartridges I hand fed into the chamber shot well and were very accurate. Cartridges I fed through the magazine sometimes had their bullets pushed back into the case.

I did not shoot those cartridges and used a kinetic puller to take them apart. With a weak crimp, this was easy. I then reloaded the cases and learned how to properly crimp the bullets.

I mention this here in that when reloading for a rifle with a tubular magazine, a good crimp is essential.

Ed Ward

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I had a friend of mine take an old Marlin 336 30/30 off a hanger out in his shed and load it, pull up to shoot and the gun did not go off, He put in another shell and went to shoot it but we stopped him. The first shell had not went off but when he looked down the barrel, it was totally plugged by a mud dauber nest (mud wasp). Cleaned out the barrel, put another shell in and it shot fine. Not sure why the first shell did not go off (it was a blessing though).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1895 marlin blow ups

marlin 336 blown up
marlin owners forum blowup

marlin shooters forum