1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Marlin Model 37 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hey guys with all the "Cabin Fever" threads lately, i figured i'd get some questions answered on a gun i have. I aquired this one thru the family but have little info on its year of production or value. I honestly don't even know what family member originally purchased it as its been passed around a bit. I know from the obvious that its a Marlin Model 37. Any idea on the it's manufacture date and a value? It's in decent shape with a fair share of surface patena(rust). Still shoots quite well. The Gun is not for sale at this time. Thanks-----Matt

grntitan_2009_2503179.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503180.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503181.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503182.jpg
  2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Mfg 1913 - 1916. Worth roughly $140 - $160 in that shape.

-Gary
  3. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

My 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms lists it as being made 1913-16, with a max value of $375.
  4. grntitan

Thanks guys.

Matt
  5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Careful now, the rifle in the picture is not worth anywhere near the "max value" of $375.

-Gary
  6. grntitan

Gary--I understand how the grading scale works. I'm not looking for top dollar only some info as i figured alot of fellas on here grew up with such guns. I personally wouldn't give over $100 for it but thats me.

Matt
  7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt:

Sometimes guns that have been in the family are best kept there. I'd give a lot more than Bluebook value to get back some of my Dad's old guns. They were nothing special, but I would treasure having them and leaving them to my kids.

-Gary
  8. grntitan

Gary--Thus the "Not For Sale" in original post. I have (2) boys of my own. One 17 and one 3. No shortage of willing recepients here. LOL Thanks for your help.

P.S. The remark of not giving over $100 was if it was not a family gun but one at a shop for sale.

Matt
  9. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I think it is a pretty nice rifle. Anyone that thinks it has negligible value needs to think about the modern day crap that sells for $250-$300 all day long. Add the family value to it and I'd say the rifle is worth quite a bit. Enjoy it, value can be measured in ways more significant than the not so allmighty dollar.

You can see alot of similarities to the 39 action in this one, I wish I had one in my collection.
  10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

Nice little pea shooter. Used to trade for one about once every other year at our Western Auto. Lots of squirrels made into dinner with those little stingers. If you sell let me know.
  11. missed some

missed some TS Member

guess it depends on if you are buying or selling, If it were mine I would take no less than 400. Just because you can't run downtown and buy one, at least not in my town.They may have made a ton of em but the gun is 100 years old,
  12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Matt; one of my hobbys is redoing Marlin rifles. This includes refinishing metal and wood and usually a thourough deburring of the interior of the gun. I jusut did my 39A I bought for christmas today and I must say the action job was very successful. It is slick as snot now.

By taking some 3/0-4/0 steel wool to your gun you could remove most all of the "patina". Patina is not anything but rust or some kind of oxidation. On a copper roof it's cool, on a gun it is not.

After steelwooling the crap out of it and removing all Patina. A rub down with either Osphoblue from Brownells or Birchwood Casey's super blue. You need to get the metal warm to make the Ospho product work well but the super blue works fine when cold. Just rub it in with the same steel wool. After done rebluing, make sure to literally soak the metal in oil overnite. The metal will look new.

The biggest problem with doing a factory type Hot reblue is all of the old finish has to come off. Usually this results in someone buffing it off which tends to drag/smear the lettering or thin the lettering down, neither of which is good. By using the method above you can make the gun look good, but not "too good". In other words it won't look like it has been reblued it will just look like it was well taken care of. I've been doing it for 50 years.

Then you can refinish the stock which in any case will look better than it does now, as long as you just do a simple oil finish with BC Tru-oil. Once again 3/0-4/0 steel wool to apply and fair in between coats. You can take that finish as far as you want to go, from just a couple of coats to a full on Hi dollar shotgun finish. Some restraint here as once again you are trying to make the gun look well taken care of and not "redone".

Like I said the object is to make the gun look like it has been well taken care of and not refinished. Since this gun is not a collectors piece doing the above will increase your enjoyment of the gun and make it nicer to pass on to the upcoming generations. Also younger people tend to take better care of nice looking things, than other things that are just left in the corner to age.

Also by doing this semi unnoticable resto it will increase the value by moving the gun up in the condition category.

Randy
  13. grntitan

Randy--Thank you much for the information. I may just make that one of my next projects. I understand completely what you mean about not overdoing it. I think its the perfect little .22 to start my 3 yr old on when he is a little older and ready. Thanks again.

Matt
  14. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Matt----- 17 to 3-- Bet that was wake up call
  15. grntitan

Mollyone--Yeah no doubt. We decided turning 40 was not complicated enough i guess. LOL As you may guess, it was not planned. That being said, i love him all the same. Been an experiance and a test on our nerves.

Matt
  16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Having a baby at 40? Yeah, that's a wake-up call, Matt.

My wife & I adopted an infant when we were 45/46. That's a wake-up call via a bucket of ice water, LOL.

...and a precious gift from God too :)

-Gary
  17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Just wondering how your bore looks in the old girl??
  18. grntitan

Calvin--My wife or the gun? LOL

Actually the bore is one of the finer points of that gun. The grooves in the riflings are still quite sharp and deep. It doesn't appear to have had a ton of rounds thru it despite its outside appearance. As a matter of fact it looks alot better than my Marlin 39A. I must add that i shoot my 39A almost on a daily basis and the riflings get leaded up pretty quick. Dang blackbirds crap on everything.

Matt
  19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Glad to hear things are in such good shape...keep those bores well lubed and you'll get many years of enjoyment out of them ; )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.