1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin lever action rifle ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Timd3200, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Question for someone. Can a marlin lever action rifle chambered for the 45 long colt have the chamber lengthened to accept the 460 smith and wesson. I have a 460 xvr pistol and you can shoot both in it. I was wondering can the marlin take the pressure of the 460. If so where can a person find a good gun smith in central IL to do the work. The biggest problem would be making the feeding of the bullets from the tube feed magazine work. I guess it may be easier to have a longer length caliber rechambered. What is your thoughts.
    Thanks for your help.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My understanding of the Marlin 336 action, from reloading for the 35 Remington, is that the maximum allowable pressure is around 40,000 psi. The 336 receiver is a very fine receiver but it was not designed to handle the 50,000 psi and up of modern rifle cartridges

From an article concerning reloading for the S&W 460, the 2007 Hodgdon Annual Manual lists the following loadings for the 460 S&W:

45.0 grains of H110 or W296 powder behind a 240 grain Hornady XTP-Mag bullet yields a MV of 2084 fps at 43,600 psi.

A maximum load of 48.5 grains of H110 (or W296) increases MV to 2254 fps at 52,100 psi.

To me, it would seem that the S&W 460 is a little too robust for the 336 action.

This is my opinion only. Other posters can probably provide more information.

Ed Ward

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The 45LC Marlin's are 1894's and not the 336 action. The heaviest thing the 1894 action is designed to cope with is the 44mag.

ss

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Ask that question here, lots of knowledgeable Marlin shooters.
    http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/46/1/Marlin_336_Lever_Actions

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I agree with the school teacher. The Marlin would never hold up
    to that kind of pressures.

6. willsweptline

willsweptline Member

The issue isn't one of strength, but length. The .460 is way too loooong to work in the 94. The best choice for this conversion would probably be the 1895/guide gun (45/70).

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is as close as you are going to get for a factory rifle in .460 S&W.

At one time Browning made their 1885 Single Shot in 454 Casull. The chamber could be reamed to 460 S&W. The action certainly is strong enough, since these rifles are also chambered for belted magnums.

8. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

We sold one of the above Ruger's last summer. The customer said the Hornady round was leaving the barrel at around 2800 fps if I remember correctly. The grouping was about 1 inch at 50 yds.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You could always down load the shells. You also don't want to load for the rifle and for the pistol and get the ammo mixed up. That I have heqard about happening. The guy got his rifle ammo mixed up with his pistol. Lets just say he doesn't have a pistol any more. Blew that thing right out of his hands and a finger or two with it. If it can go in the pistol; it can go in the rifle. That is how I load the rifle.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You ought to just get the 45/70..loaded warm you will have all the fun you can handle

11. Brian in Oregon

Or shoot 454 Casull in the 460 handgun, because Rossi makes their M92 in 454.

12. 100straight

100straight Member

Here you are.

Mark.

13. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Thanks for all the help. It gives me options. The DRC lever gun would be great if I had a bigger budget. As it is I will have to keep looking.

14. CalvinMD

Hi Brian ...just wondering what your opinion is on the Rossi 454's...have heard rumors they are not that robust and have only been able to take the pounding of the big Casull for so long before seriously loosening up/screws shearing etc.?...I'm a Marlin guy so no first hand experience with them..and since having a 45/70, 450Marlin as well as a triple 4 that all shoot terrific its a gun I wouldnt hanker for myself...got the 1894 in 45LC and that can be loaded very safely to stout levels and I pair with my Ruger Blackhawk...my personal favorite in a carbine/pistol pair is hands down the 41mag...I like being odd man out..nobody asks to borrow ammo that way ; ))

15. Brian in Oregon

Frankly I know little about the Rossi 454. I had an older (pre-Puma emblem) M92 in 44-40 and it was a good, reliable gun, though accuracy was average. A couple of friends have the 44 Mag, and they've been reliable and have better accuracy. The 454 is a whole 'nuther animal. I always thought the 44 Mag was pushing the limits on the Model 92 platform, but I've not heard about any serious problems with the 454 model. You might want to google and get some user feedback.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rear-locking lever guns begin to stretch at 50,000 PSI. Lately, I resisted the urge to have a '94 Winchester rechambered to 30/30 Ackley Improved. When you load the round to get what you want, you kill the receiver in less than 1000 rounds.

As was said above, get the 45/70, or if you want an Atomic Annie lever gun, get a 450 Marlin in the Browning BLR. This one can be loaded for a safari on MARS. LOL

17. CalvinMD

I shot my Ruger No.1 45-70 today with 500gr cast bullets..shot 40rds moving at over 1700fps...it was a ball..my shoulder is already begging for Advil though

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Cal,
    Can I barrow some .41's?........I have an old Ruger Bisley that gives animals big,and small nightmares.So.....what ya say Cal......I promise that I'll give 'em back to ya.They might be a little lighter,but I will give 'em back to ya.Love that .41 Mag.

D.P.Reynolds

19. CalvinMD

I'll let you know when I get some more loaded DP...I been neglecting my empty brass lately ; ))

20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Thanks Cal...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

460 s&w lever action rifle for sale