1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin Closing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

This has been debunked so many times it hurts. Please do 30 seconds worth of research on google before posting chain emails you receive.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep..

Or at least post in the

can I get a rise out of you category.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Marlin is alive and getting better in Remingtons hands...the products coming out are looking much better than when big green/Cerebus took over...and it seems some particular models discontinued until manufacturing issues were resolved are making the comeback and are becoming available again...my buddy just got a new Rem/Marlin 1894 in 44mag and it looks and shoots terrific and hes very pleased...seems that things are definantly coming around and nobody is happier than I because I do love those lever guns

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a 1960's era Marlin 336 RC in .35 Remington. About 15 years ago I sent back to Marlin and had the rifle reblued, stock refinished and the sight repaired. I bought the rifle at a gun show for $150 in poor condition and for $180 plus postage, Marlin made it look like new. I added a Leupold 3x9 AO with a 42mm objective in Leupold mounts.

The rifle carries like a dream, cycles like soft butter and shoots a 1 1/2" 5 shot group at 100 yards with factory Remington 200 grain PSP's.

Along the way, it took a nice 10 pointer, 4 eight pointers and several smaller deer.

Marlin discontinued the refurbishing service it used to offer. IMO, this was a fine service at a good price.

Ed Ward

5. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Hey there, The Marlin name is a family tradition in our house for sure, the .35rem is still King of the woods for myself and my dad.I would definatley like to see the quality go back up though,some of the new stuff I have seen has been alittle rough.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The little 35 Remington is an incredibly efficient round, when loaded to its potential.

The 200 gr bullet can be run at near 2300 fps in the Marlin. This is monumentally more powerful than the 30/30, no slouch in the woods. The downside is that the Marlin develops vicious recoil at this level.

This makes it serious bear, elk, and moose medicine at close range. The 30/30 cannot get there.

Remington's backing is a good thing for Marlin/H&R.

7. CalvinMD

Coach...I share your love of the 35..and the 375 and the 444 45-70 etc etc ; ))......My current favorite is the 308/338 Marlin Express guns..was lucky enough to get early pre transition true Connecticut Marlins in those two...the 338 is truly awesome..200gr Hornady flextips going out of mine at just a hair under 2600fps and just under MOA groups at 100yds...my brother borrowed it and took a large buck with it at over 312 measured yards and it was the most dramatic lights out he said he ever saw and with a dead on hold after a 2.5" high zero @100yds

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The medium bores are where it's at in a hunting gun. The 338-375 bullets, at moderate (or not so moderate in the 338 ME) speeds, really anchors game.

The larger bullet base to push on means unreal efficiency at the 42,000 to 50,000 or so PSI these guns run at. It takes the 30/06 60,000+ PSI to do what the 338 ME does at 50,000 PSI. An aerodynamically efficient 200 gr bullet at 2600 fps out of a traditional lever action was science fiction when they came out.

A side benefit is accuracy that is unexpected in a traditional lever gun.

the Winchester 30/30 pictured has a lot of character, and has harvested a train load of venison. I am not going to do anything to it except shoot and clean it. It has earned every scratch, and its loss of blue is like my loss of hair.

The much more powerful Marlin 35 at top is suitable for about anything close-up in the lower 48 except the big bears with proper loads. It will do for them if you can't run really fast. LOL

9. CalvinMD

I hear ya Coach...I wouldn't feel too handicapped against a big bear either if a 35 was in my hands..I like those 220gr Speers pushed as fast as safe as they are much tougher slugs than anything except the super primo bullets like Woodleighs or Hawks...5 well placed new nostrils will help convince Yogi better than any poorly placed single or pair of hits or misses from a belted magnums bullet, cuz thats all the bolt guy might get off before hes lunch unless he's a REALLY good shot.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My grandfather used an old Marlin 336A rifle in 35 Rem for deer hunting for many years, with iron sights. He replaced an old Rem 14 in 35 Rem. He really liked that cartridge. Sadly, inlaws got their hands on his guns and sold them at a gun show, instead of seeing if blood relatives would like them. I would have bought that rifle if need be.

A friend likes it not only for its increased power over the 30-30 but because .38 and .357 bullets can be loaded in the cases. He makes powder puff loads for small game and full power loads for varmints. He can carry these in his pocket during deer season and use them as needed.

At one time I wanted a Thompson Contender in 35 Rem, but never got around to it.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The out of the box .35 Remington 200 grain pointed soft point at 2080 fps hammers deer sized game at up to 150 yards. The 200 grain PSP is purpose made for .35 Remington velocities and expands well.

At one time, 4 of 20 hunters in our deer camp were using Marlin .35's. Most shots were well under 100 yards and most were amazed by the knockdown power of the .35 at close range and how little meat damage it caused. Sadly, two of these hunters are now using Remington 7 mm magnums and destroying a lot of meat.

The cartridge itself was designed by John Browning for the Remington model 8 auto loader based on a 6.5 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer cartridge. I reload for the .35 and it takes a special shell holder for the RCBS press.

The Remington Model 8 rifle was a favorite of the Texas Rangers and was used by Marshal Frank Hamer when he ambushed Bonnie and Clyde. Early WW I air crews were reported to have used Remington Model 8's in air to air combt before their airplanes received better armament like the Lewis gun.

Ed Ward

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Magnumitus strikes again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.