1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin 1894CB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I just bought a Marlin 1894CB lever action rifle (.357) at a gun show. The first time I tried to run some ammo thru the lever jammed in the full-open position. Can anyone tell me what to do now? I sure hope I didn't buy a lemon. I "thought" I got a good deal. The rifle looks almost new. The ammo was .38 wadcutters, which probably contributed or caused the problem, now that I think about it.
    Bruce

2. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

Most lever guns will not feed wadcutters. Marlins are especially picky about overall cartridge length, especially in 38's. Remember, it is a .357 rifle which might or might not feed .38's. Anyhow, you have to remove screw holding the lever, then the lever, then the bolt (just pull back). You can then get it unjammed. Here are instructions on Marlins, plus you can call marlin to get a Manual. Click down on the rifles link:

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I think churchy got it right, The mag tube delivers 1 1/2 shells to the elevator stop.

If you drop in just shell into the receiver, I think you'll find the lever works.

I had one a long time ago and recall something like this

regards

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The shorter shell makes it try and feed 2 at once.

HM

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Never feed flush or nearly flush wadcutters through a lever gun.<br>
    <br>
    Some lever guns don't even like semi-wadcutters. This is not brand and model specific, but on a case by case basis.<br>
    <br>
    Some 357 Magnum lever guns do not like 38 Specials. Again, thisvaries by individual gun, not by make and model.<br>
    <br>
    Marlin did make a limited run 1894 chambered and set up for .38 Special, specifically for cowboy competition.

6. rw993

rw993 Active Member

capvan,

I have one that is 30+ years old. Great little gun. Killed many hogs in the brush. BUT......... if the gun is rotated off center when you lever the action the bullet seems to "rattle" in the action and it is very prone to jamming. However backing off the lever pressure and reappling same always redirects the bullet to where it needs to go. (If you are holding the gun straight.)

Always has done that and I figured it wasn't a gun with so much quality that it should be perfect.

I don't hold that against it.

RW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

marlin 1894 cb

marlin 1894cb 357