1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Markham Park - my latest RANT !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Markham Park in Sunrise, FL is a fun place to shoot sporting clays, but holy crap are they difficult to deal with.

It's run by a goofball (county employee) who has no idea how to run a sporting clays course, and no incentive to show a profit. Oh, that's right, showing a profit is last on the list of things a government employee is interested in. I'm guessing how many lunch breaks they can take in a day, when they can retire, and how much their pension is, consumes most of their time.

Since they don't have target counters, you have to shoot with a trapper. On an average week they put TWELVE squads thru the course.

You read that right, TWELVE squads a week. TWO on Thursday, and FIVE each on Saturday & Sunday.

To get one of the coveted spots you have to call for a reservation weeks in advance.

So that's exactly what I did. A week ago I called and made a reservation for one of the TWO squads going out on Thursday Nov 1st.

This past Thursday I got a call from them. They had to cancel my reservation because they had a "private" reservation for that day.

When I asked them what that meant, I was transferred to the guy that runs the place.

He and I had a nice conversation about profit and loss, serving the community, and target counters. I might as well have been speaking Chinese.

He informed me that they have looked into target counters, but they don't have the clientele to support the cost.

I suggested it might be due to the fact that they only let TWELVE squads a week shoot the course, but he was having none of that foolishness.

Then I mentioned that as we speak, millions of snow birds are making their way to So Flo with pockets full of cash, and a bunch of us like to shoot.

Nope, no go. I said, well there are plenty of other clubs in So Flo, and I'll just shoot at one of them. It didn't make a difference to him, (it must have been time for his second lunch).

As soon as I move down full time, I plan on going to every County Board meeting and speaking my piece. Until then, I guess the So Flo shooting community's only hope is that the guy running Markham Park retires.

Here's my first rant if you want to read it.

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I like your rant.. and can't wait for you to move !! With some luck and prayers you can get others to go with you and make a difference.. Good Luck!

I personally love shooting at Markham.. I've not tried their sporting.. but I have shot trap there several times. My first wish is that it were closer to me so that I could shoot there more often!

Jerry B

3. legman

legman Member

"Who is John Galt" Kenny Bruggeman

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

Where else within a 50 mile radius is there a sporting clays course that you propose to threaten the county with?

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Glen Bugbee where are you?

6. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

ysr_racer,

You should look at moving to the other side of the state around the Venice/Sarasota area.

The Sarasota Gun Club is probably one of the best shooting clubs in the state right now. Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet and next door is an excellent rifle and pistol range.

They shoot ATA Big 50 twice a week during the winter season.

Ron Burdick

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

If you love Markham Park you will love Obama Care. This is what you get with county run facilities .

Tom

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Not too bad for a county run facility.
    [​IMG]

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Markham's infrastructure: top notch

Markham's management-structure: not so much

10. zaob1

zaob1 Member

My condolences to my fellow shooters at Markham Park. Obama be with you and the county employees who RUN this venue. Take back your rights, and your privleges November 6th. then take back Markam Park away from the county and the Obama like venue.

Rick

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Hey Zaob1,

How would you suggest we take the park back from the county? You got a realistic plan worked out you could put forward...................? I didn't think so.

Eric

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Move 100 miles north.... Plenty of clubs!

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

There could be a solution. Lobby the county commission to privatize the operation of the park. Get rid of the county employees by replacing them with a contractor.

T

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Goverment run facilities. I keep my boat in a State operated marina. Geeeeee, cheap to go there but lacking in service and the like. Like who is going to get fired because of poor customer service. I could rant for hours...

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

TBaber,

You don't seriously think your idea will work do you? A little background is required here. The 660+ acres of land that became Markham Park was given as a gift by the Markham family to Broward County in perpertuity with one provision. That is that the County has to establish & maintain a public target range. It doesn't have to show a profit, breaking even is close enough.The biggest profit center at the range is the rifle & pistol range as they only sell time there.

There have been many attempts in the past to purchase or lease the range and the County has said no to any attempt to let go of control because of the potential liability that they could face.

Speaking of potential liability, the County won't even allow posting any notices of firearms or related items for sale anywhere at the range. You had a nice thought though but not a realistic one to be sure.

Eric

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Hi Eric, your post is sad but true.

Markham Park is a nice place, but it could be better.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ysr racer,

I agree but when you're the only game in town, you can pretty much do what you want.

Eric

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Your tax dollars at work.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From the air, this is Markham Park. The target range is at the top of the picture.
    [​IMG]

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's some validity to the way the sporting clays range is run. The county
    guys who take the squads around have other duties at the range as well, so they can't be stuck out in the glades all day.
    More squads would require loading the traps, and that would require additional
    personnel. Also, trap maintenance and breakdowns on the course would be
    increased.

There are too many inexperienced snowbirds to allow squads to go out by themselves - liability issue. And then there's the shrinkage issue, since as best I recall there's no target counters being used. Plus the tips are a
    nice supplement to the county salaries. You can't have too many employees to
    handle more shooters in the winter, if you have to pay them in the summer when
    there's a lot fewer shooters.

I'm sure Eric will weigh in if I'm wrong. I think the place is great. I shoot
    trap and sporting clays there. The shooters are a great bunch, and as I said
    my experience with the county people had always been positive.
    Now that there's a guns, ammo, and shooting supply minutes away, at least
    you can't get ammo at a reasonable price without going all the way to Bass Pro
    Shops.

Since the sporting clays range was closed at Trail Glades in Miami (the Glenn
    Bugbee reference) there's no place else in southeast Florida within a reasonable driving distance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does markham park off of double trap