1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Market "soft" for gun resales???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

We hear the market is "soft" when we are selling a gun but when we are buying the seller always wants big bucks for the ones they can live without. I have no problems selling trap guns from $500 to $6,000 as long as they are priced right. So what is it ...."soft" or "hot"?? Yikes!!

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Market

The market is very hot for guns if you price them at what Gene7777777 says they are worth. That's the way to sell them.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Market

poor Gene. But it is true ha

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Market

Remember Gene is pricing YOUR gun Not his .

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Market

Handguns are up for the most part about 20 or more per cent over normal.

If you can find any. Most people are sitting tight.

Long guns are harder to sell because there are fewer buyers, the economy you know.

HM

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Market

Look at the number of "For Sale and Wanted" threads below. It looks pretty long to me.

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

Market

Black guns are still hot if you can get them. Higher dollar gun sales seem to be slow. Price your guns fairly, include pictures and see where they go

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Market

Soft? Not based on the asking prices on this site.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Market

What I've noticed is that some people - including here on TS - but moreso on FS/T boards at SGW, are wanting premium to premium+ to 'treasure' prices for a gun that is only slightly more desirable that usual ... some Model 12s for example and Beretta 68x and 3200s where a 100 or 200 less means a sale or keep the gun.

Most of the specialty guns here seem to sell pretty good at about 60-70% of replacement, but then there are specialty buyers here, too.

I confess I have had my eye on a couple of guns here waiting the almost inevitable 2nd price-drop, but have been too late by minutes ... :)

Oh, well ...

GS

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Market

... and talking with somebody about a gun ...

'A friend of mine's gunsmith said this is a fair price.'

Oh, really.

'There are 13 of these on Gunbroker, and I'm priced right in the middle ... it's WORTH that much.'

umm ....

GS

11. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Market

With the exception of assault rifles and handguns, I feel the gun market is worse than soft. I never used to hesitate buying a house, muscle car, motorcycle, or gun that I could make a few bucks on. There are some excellent buys out there right now, but honestly, who is buying? I am buying absolutely nothing. This economy scares me to death. If the Government does not impose the stricter gun and ammo laws they are proposing, alot of people are going to be stuck with alot of weapons worth 30% of what they paid. I have never felt that I have enough guns, but I think I have enough for now.

12. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Market

George, I have a K-80 Trap Special unsingle for sale. If interested, email me or call 903-315-6200. Gun is as new from factory. Not a combo. Gun was produced as an unsingle only, all numbers matching. Gun is perfect. I have added an adj. butt-pad. Beautiful wood upgrade. Thanks, Roy

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Market

George, how do you define 'soft' as a percentage of replacement?

Bob

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Market

All of my fully automatic guns have tripled in value since Nov. '08.

Curt

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Market

"Bob---I don't understand your ?---I think the mkt is pretty stable---Any offer I make thinking the mkt is soft is turned down---I did talk to a pawn shop owner and he said the gun mkt is very active---his turn around price is high."

Yep. I take your point, and some classes & types of guns are in extreme demand.

The high$ shottys, whether for blood or games seem somewhat stable and not inflated, but still slow-moving unless they are very aggressively-priced.

I don't understand mass-production guns that are only a little unusual being regarded as 'treasure' by the erstwhile seller, however: B-25, M-12, wood 870, 3200s, Spanish & Italian SxS ...

Bob

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Market

Making a broad statement about the market for any item is risky business. There are places where housing has not been hurt and others where it's taken a beating. Same is true with guns. Pistols, in particular, 9mm,.380 and .45 auto have been hot. Hard to find the ammo for them lately, and the pipeline is dry so it might be a while before that clears up.

Target guns ... shotguns in particular have been going the same direction as golf equipment did 10 - 15 years ago. The high-tech products are selling and the older standbys have taken a hit. The younger generation of competitive shooters has the same mindset as other sports participants have ... better equipment can improve your scores. They don't seem to settle for hand-me-downs from Dad or Grandpa anymore. Old guns have become just that ... old guns. The "use it and dump it" mentality of the recent computer generation has hit the gun market. The good news is there are a lot of great old guns out there at good prices for those that like them.

Break'em all.

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.