1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marine GPS - best value?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shopping GPS units, just tossed the one that came with my boat. I am not above a combo unit, this fish finder is not as good as my old Si-Tex. I gave my old boat to Bart Starr's Rawhide ranch and in a fit of stupidity left the transducer on the hull.

Sooo......I could use a transducer, a good value GPS, maybe a combo unit if they don't cause heart palpitations when you see the price.

Inland lakes chart might be nice or just Lake Michigan/Green Bay.

Youse guys know everything so let her fly.

HM

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

HM, I always liked seperate units for each. One GPS, One Chartplotter, One depth finder. Garmen is still the best for water as well as on land. I Liked Raytheon for fish finder. I believe its called Raymarine now. They invented sonar during the WWII. They make some of the best chartplotters as well. The reason I'm not fond of the combo units are when you lose one of them, you in just lost both. IF your 20 miles offshore or in unfamilar areas this can be a real problem. Now your needs may be different. As far as a VHF radio goes it would be nice to get a newer one that will send out a distress signal that will also give your Lat. and Long. that ties into your GPS. So think about it before you buy. This will allow a hands off signal while your hands are busy needed putting out fire/bailing water, whatever!!! You get the idea. Good Luck with your new craft. Its hard to give a make/model without knowing the size or use of your craft as well as your budget as their are many options??? Break-em all Jeff

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You are probably correct, I just talked to a guy today who depends on his chartplotter more than his fishfinder. (mine lies like a cheap watch).

I'm not loking for anything real heavy since I'll just be on the Bay all the time usually in sight of shore.

18 foot, 115 HP, older boat.

HM

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

HM, For that size craft I would just forgo the chartplotter altogether. A decent Garmin GPS will do all you need. For around $30 dollars you can keep a nice locally bought fishing/boating chart of your area on board to referance as needed. All Bays and rivers good notable spots like drop offs, wreaks, most all stops of interest for you can be had off charts and fishing websites and misc. and can be downloaded to a handheld unit. Add to this any points of interest you find while crusing or whathave you and justhave to scroil down and punch in your next spot and your GPS will give you a strait shot to it. True fisherman never give up there fav. honey holes. LOL Even though you can still see land a VHF radio is still a must have on the water. Now Raymarines depth finders worked very well for me in the past. They have some nice color units with a 50 Hz. and a 200 Hz. duel beam that is very nice for top water coverage or deep water detail looking depending how you set the beams up one/the other/ or combo of both. One's a narrow beam while the other is a wide area type. I have not checked prices lately but I'd say around $400 or so. Remember this is the most important item on your boat, exept your motor LOL. You may find some used ones around but look for the end of the year close out sales real soon. Now I am assuming you are using the boat mostly for serious fishing as oppossed to family outtings or water sking or whathave you. Break em all Jeff