1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Margartet Thatcher tribute

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by crusha, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, now that the really important stuff like basketball is over, it's time to celebrate the legacy of the best PM England ever had. Churchill? Nah, Churchill was thrust into circumstances, and history really gave him little choice. But Maggie Thatcher had plenty of choices. It wasn't necessary for her to take on the grimy British Labor unions and their like, but she chose to do it, and did it well, right about the same time Reagan was making headlines doing similar things here.

I heard a clip of her speaking yesterday about freedom and economic self-determination, and it shocked me to realize that this was the Prime Minister of England talking. Unbelieveable how much times have changed; you'd have to go two benches deep into the modern American Republican party, just to hear those type of views being expressed HERE today, much less in England.

So, hip hip, hooray, for a fine example of leadership we shall never, and I mean ever, see again.

Not sure if she could dribble a basketball though (but, not sure Obama can, either).

2. SBray

SBray Active Member

Fred Barbash of the Washington Post wrote, of Thatcher:

Infuriated by Britain's image as the "sick old man of Europe," she set out to dismantle Britain's cradle-to-grave welfare state, selling off scores of massive state-owned industries, crushing the power of organized labor and cutting government spending with the purpose of liberating the nation from what she called a "culture of dependency."

On Fox News yesterday, she was noted as being against the Euro because she believed it would fail, leaving Germany holding the bag.

Thatcher attended Oxford's Somerville College (for women) as a chemistry major.

People underestimated her capabilities. She was the longest running Prime Minister of England for 11 1/2 years. She was very fond of Ronald Reagan, since they both shared similar conservative political views.

Of course, she had her enemies, and was almost killed in a IRA bombing.

Those kind of leaders are hard to find these days!

Steve

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Seeing those pictures of her and Reagan on the news brought a tear to my eye.Man have things gone to hell since they have been gone.

Darr

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I still hope and pray that someday some strong leaders will emerge and get the world back on course

But it isn't going happen until SHTF and it is forced on the world

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

People forget that in order to balance the budget, she sold off public assets that produced profits, then the next year, when there were no more public assets to sell off, and no profits acruing from them, she presided over the largest deficit in Great Briain's peacetime history. The assets sold were allowed, by the purchasers, to run into the ground, while they took the profits. When the infrastructure was in such bad shape that it no longer produced profits, the buyers walked away, leaving the taxpayers holding the bag to get things running again. She was a heck of a politician, but definitely not an economist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.