1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Marathon rules

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gil, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Member

I recently went to a marathon shoot. I arrived, the shoot had started and was told that I could only shoot in a squad with 3 or more shooters. There was one shooter waiting for more shooters for doubles but there were plenty of squads shooting 16s with 3+ shooters. Question: As long as the shoot has started with 3 shooters why cannot more join even if they shoot alone? If the event is 500 birds, can anyone shoot one hundred? If someone wants to shoot more than 500 does he need 3 or more shooters? Does a squad of shooters shooting 500 targets represent 5x100 or only 500 targets? This question is very important as I have shot in marathons where people could shoot 1-2-3 4 or the entire 500 targets. If a shooter wants to shoot caps at 27 yards and two others at 20 yards, do they represent 3 shooters even though they are on separate squads. What are the rules??

George Miller

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The rules are pretty much what the gun club wants them to be in terms of how long a marathon is and whether you have to shoot them all. If they want a 500 bird marathon and want everyone to shoot that many, they can write the program that way.

Few do.

There's no ATA rule there must be three or more on squad. In other words, three one-man squads could shoot all day, but the club would go broke permitting this.

In your case, the club was following the ATA rule. There needs to be at least three doubles shooters to register the birds, and you have accounted for but two. The fact that there are plenty of singles shooters makes no difference, Your need a minimum of three for singles, for doubles, for handicap.

And yes, two at 20-yards and one at 27 is fine for the three required to register 100 handicap. And for the next hundred, the 20-yarders could drop out and be replaced by 22-yarders and the 27-yard shooter could register his second hundred. But if the gun club were to give preference to a squad of five singles shooters over the lone 27-yarder, saying with limited traps or personnel we have to serve as many as we can and filling traps is the way to do it, then the ATA would respect that business decision.

Neil

3. Gil

Gil Member

Neil, Thanks for the answer. I will read carefully the program before I go to another Marathon. George Miller

4. kn

kn TS Member

If you happen to get to south Texas we will be having a marathon Feb. 24th thru
    March 2nd. We will see that you get to shoot all you want..Kelly Nylen
    Metro Gun Club, Angleton, TX 979-299-9426

5. monroesc

monroesc Member

The ATA rules says that the first shoot must have 5 shooters and any subsequent shoot must have 3 shooters. When we have our marathons I have a postcard type form that I fill in with a shooter on each one and I mix and match so I have at least 3 people in each shoot. We shoot a 1000 doubles so shooters don't have to worry about who or how many are on a squad--I take care of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.