1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple v. Walnut for New Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Wood Guys - I have always wanted a maple stock set and have a nice blank ready to go to Wenigs. It will be for my bunker gun which once or twice a year I use for live pigeons. Do you see any problem w/ a maple blank as opposed to walnut? Thanks as always.
    Mark

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Maple is a great wood for stocks as long as it has a straight grain in the wrist area for an o/u. It does not really matter on autos. Maple is my favorite wood for gunstocks. Some don't like light colored wood but i really do. I think there are better choices than Wenig for sure.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had Wenig do mine and it's as good as all the others. Some of these guys get on these kicks for some reason or another.

4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Mark, No need to fear using maple as long as -- a previous poster put it--- the wood grain in the wrist/ receiver area is mostly straight grain. I should post a photo of my favorite handicap gun--a TM-1 with a Prosoft stock set on it.
    It sports Awesome Maple burl wood that is just about as highly figured as you could want. Incidentally we have a good number of these blanks in inventory at Prosoft. Thanks Nate/Phil Simms Prosoft recoil Systems (970) 523-9566

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Goose2 i am not on any "kick" as you put it about Wenig. Their work and fitting is not on par with some others mentioned on here. I am speaking from experience. I had one set of quilted maple they had to re-do three times before i had another shop fix the fit the way it should have been from the start.And yes i paid for the fitting and spent most of a day there. When payinmg the prices thes guys get you expect it to be right or made right and Wenig has not impressed me on two different occasions not to mention the poor fitting a friend of mine got from them as well. Just posting my experience with them. This all took place between 2004-2007. It may be better now i can't speak about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.