1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Manufacturing bullets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cooper, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

I know there are many different versions of rifle and hand gun ammo, I am curious how the bullets and casings are manufactured. My guess is the basic lead bullet is drop forged, but what about some of the other flavors? Are any bullets machined from bar stock? How about casings, stamped thru progressive dies maybe? Are any bullets made here in the USA or are they all from over seas? Any good web sites or books on the subject?

Thanks for any info,
    Cooper

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Cast and swaged lead bullets are the two most used methods of making lead bullets. Jacketed bullets is a more involved process. I think most of the popular brands are made right here in the USA. Sierra, Hornaday, Magnus, etc. HMB

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There was a feature on 'Sighting In' recently that followed the CCI rimfire production line. Pretty neat, kind of made you drool seeing those full pallets of Mini Mags. To answer the original questions, yes we make a lot of ammo in the USA and it is pretty good stuff. Bullet production can be as simple as casting lead for cf pistol rounds all the way up to individually turning out projectiles on a lathe for long range rifles. Want to know more ... go to the library, lots of good books there. (really)

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Many handgun bullets are cast in Magma machines. Most rifle and handgun jacketed bullets are made in two processes, the lead core is swaged into wire, then cut to length. The jackets are punched out of copper sheet into discs and then drawn to size and shape in several stages by punching them through successive dies which thins and lengthens the jacket. The bullets are then completed in machines which swage the core into the jacket, final size and trim tip to length. Saw this in a tour of the Sierra factory in Sedalia. BTW, the "hunting" bullets were being held to +/- .1 grain variation in weight, or 1/70,000th of a pound. There are variations on these processes and some solids are machined from barstock. Some are "glued" together and are called bonded bullets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.