1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mantis tiller info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pj 999, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Anybody own or had any experience with a Mantis tiller? I have never used one but really thinking on buying one. Any comments, good or bad would be appreciated. 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle ??? Thanks Paul

2. scott k

scott k TS Member

better off going to a stihl dealer and buying a yard boss.

3. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I bought a little Honda 5 years ago and LOVE IT. It starts on the first pull and works like a dream. Parts are easy to get if you need them(I haven't yet). It is great in the flower beds and small gardens. Check it out before you buy a Mantis. I have a rear tine Ariens that I use very seldom now unless it is a big area. Hope this helps a little.

Jimmy

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Piece of fragile crap. Buy something solid

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The ads for the Mantis on television always looked to me like they were working over an area they had just made with about 4 40 lb. bags of topsoil. They're probably okay for already tilled soil, but I can't imagine one would be able to tackle sod or turf. Depends on what you need.

The old adage about 2 cycles used to be you had to "work on it an hour to get it to run an hour". The newer ones, especially the Stihls have improved on this a lot. The priming bulb was a big advancement for them. Don't know many that will start on the first pull, but at least nowadays they'll start.

6. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Keep the comments etc coming. I guess I didn't realize how many manufactures there was of mini tillers. I mainly want to use mine to till between plants and rows in a tight spaced garden. I will use my bigger rear tine to get soil in shape and then use mini to help keep weeds down and soil loose. Thanks for all info and comments. I am researching all models. Paul

7. ken a

ken a Member

I think the Mantis is overpriced compared to others mentioned above. I personaly bought a sears 4 stroke. The sears I got does not start easy. They do make good water trenches and you can get them around tight areas and for edging. For any hard ground forget it and get out the rear tine rig.

8. WWB

WWB Member

I had one. The return for 1 yr gurantee is great, except you have to ruin the box to get it out. It would never start easily til I took it to a regional fix it place. It would make the ground like sand when you worked it--but one had to turn the garden over with a shovel or fork first--then break it up and make it smooth with the Mantis. If I was doing it all over again...I'd go with a Honda or Sears. I found the 2 cycle adequate for what I needed it for.
    They all are easy to handle, get in close and store easily.
    I sold the Mantis for 20 bucks less than I pd for it, and used it 2 yrs.
    Bill

9. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Our local hardware store guy said that Stihl is going to quit using two cycle engines due to the "global warming" issue. Can't confirm this - just what the guy in the store told me.

10. Urbans

Urbans Member

Stihl. Mantis had more than a few issues!!

11. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

My Mother has had a Mantis for 20 years has never ha a wrench on it. Mine is going on 11 years and the same. 3 neighbors would borrow mine, then bought their own. I think they are just great!!

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I bought my wife one and they are the most overrated pieces of crap that I have ever seen. It works fine when it is running, in pre-culivated areas. Go with Sthil or Honda. BRGII

13. atashooter

atashooter Member

Bought the Mantis 2 stroke. Had it 1/2 the summer and it started running bad, then died. Mantis makes an electric one also... If you have access to electricity, it is the way to go. Very happy with electric unit. Be advised that the Mantis tillers work great on LOOSE or already tilled soil. Hard soil, forget it.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 7½'s past the 20 yard line will do a fine job.

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Agree with "Retired Marine". Light duty for tilling and also have the grass thatcher, also for light duty. Have mine for a few years with no problems. (Marines and Navy agree on something)

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Iowna 2 cycle Sears Cultivator have had it for 5 years or so. It get used in te sping I'd guess two to three hrs at most it's fine.

17. powderburn

powderburn Member

Dear PJ999,
    Yeah, I agree with all the "no's" also. I assembled one for a lady who I used to do yard work for, and you have to walk backwards for them to work. They also tend to tip over easily and "walk" to one side. They are flimsily (is that a word?) made. Go with something else....good luck! -powderburn

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have one and it does what I need it to. The Mantis is for small tilling jobs down to about 4". Great for small gardens. I have had mine for five years and have loaned it out to several friends. Zero mechanical issues, starts easy. Mine probably gets used about 60 hours per year. I also use a little stabil in the fuel in the fall.

The strong points;

Lite and easy to operate. No problem for ladies. Good for mixing in mulch and seasonal prep of existing gardens.

Narrow width so you can till between rows.

Coverts to an edger easily.

The Weak points;

It is a small machince with limited till depth.

You operate it by pulling backwards.

It won't break out really hard soil.

Some folks here say there are mechanical issues. (not my experience)

19. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I love mine, it is small and does work by pulling backwards. It is also very light weight and easy to handle. Since I garden in raised beds, it is the perfect tiller as my ground never gets tightly compacted because I don't walk on it.

As with any gas operated piece of yard equipment,tiller, mower, chain saw, the best thing to do is let run dry....don't store it with gas in it. Then gas it, prime it, and they will start right up...let that gas get old and funky, you made a problem!

I sold my big tiller years ago because I did not need it. The Mantis does everything I need it to.

Now if I was working a 2 acre garden...I'd want a another big rear tine tiller!

20. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

It is apiece of dung, only bigger piece of dung is a MEC 9000 reloader. There should be a law against selling either on of these piles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mantis tiller piece of crap